CD Suggestions needed for Auditioning Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by HarpSingh, Mar 16, 2006.

1. HarpSingh

HarpSingh Agent

CD Suggestions needed for Auditioning Bright Speakers

I am auditioning various speakers and would like suggestions for some CDs and recordings that might highlight various aspects of different speakers. Specifically, I am listening to some speakers that I have found to be bright and want to hear if they sound harsh with some recordings.

I like bright speakers, but do not know the limits of how bright I want to go. Listening to CDs that bring out the harshness in these speakers will help me assess how bright I'd want.

Thanks

2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I would suggest that you take only those recordings that you are very familiar with. [​IMG]

3. HarpSingh

HarpSingh Agent

Taking familiar recordings is always a good idea. I currently take about 5 CDs when I go to audition speakers.

However, a lot of the kind of music I listen to is bad recordings/masterings. For example, the mids & hi's of a voilin on one of my CDs sounded harsh & screechy on B&W CM1's. Now, how much of this harshness was because of the terrible mastering and how much was because of the CM1's, I don't know. I really liked the CM1s but want to know if they are really harsh or if it was the recording.

I also listen to rock where harshness can be difficult to judge. My jazz and light rock CD collection is very old and thus I do not mind buying a few new CDs which are excellent recordings & mastered well. They can help me buy the right speakers, and grow my collection at the same time.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Why not buy better recordings then like from Telarc or someone else?

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

The best 'reference quality' recordings I've ever hears are from Mapleshade (www.mapleshaderecords.com). I'm not crazy about a lot of the music itself, but I can't help but listen to the discs because they are recorded so damn well. Pick yourself up one of their sampler discs and you'll see what I mean.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Take stuff you're familiar with. With that said, try also to take a range of material, "loud" stuff, soft stuff, fast, slow, etc. You want to try out a wide variety of styles. Plus, I also think you should try good recordings as well as bad. Basically, whatever you listen to on your system now. You want to hear how the speakers will deal with poorly recorded material too.

7. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

-Female vocalists (Diana Krall, Tori Amos, Jewel, Sarah MacLachlan). You'll hear a stridency in overly bright speakers you won't with warmer ones

-Anything mastered in the mid-to-late 80s. I have a Springsteen compilation and, while the earlier songs are great, they are horribly recorded (or at least mixed and mastered). They were probably tailored to the lousy systems of the time, but on a decent, revealing system, they are bright, edgy, two-dimensional. His later work, such as "Philadelphia," sounds SOOOO much better by comparison (and that's still early 90s).

-Anything mixed with a lot of drums, especially cymbals and high hats. The Police's albums are good for this.

Happy hunting!

8. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Oh, and I second Mapleshade.