What's new

CD suggestions for music to enjoy new sub? (1 Viewer)

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I'm realizing that while I've got several of the DVD's for super bass, I don't have a lot of great CD's for trying out my new sub on music. I'm looking for suggestions for everyone's favorites.

I primarily listen to classical, jazz/big band, and pop/contemporary Christian.

Something with great percussion would be good so I could evaluate the sub with drums. . .

Thanks,

Wes

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Check out Dave Mathews band crowded streets and crash albums

Also Dire Straights, Brothers in Arms album has really good clean bass.

A

Anthony_Gomez

This is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go out to your local music store and pick up BlueManGoup!

the DVD-A/DVD version is the best (a regular dvd player can run it).

It will have bass and drum tracks that will blow your mind away...and it sounds awesome to boot!

IMO, it is a must have once you get a good subwoofer!

Chad Kuypers

Stunt Coordinator
I think that I might be of some help here. The absolute most stunning bass on CD or DVD that I have ever heard comes from these two CD's:
Pomp and Pipes - Reference Recordings
Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition - Dorian (arranged for organ by Jean Guillou)
Pomp and Pipes is still my reference to this day for low bass and high output. Track 6 has the lowest, loudest, most impressive bass that I have ever measured or heard. Either your subwoofer will be blasting this track out and your house will be shaking, or you won't here anything happening down low because your subwoofer can't reach that low. It goes down to 16 Hz LOUD!!! All of the tracks on this disc are for organ and brass. There are also some tracks with woodwinds. There are also some AMAZING bass drum whacks on it, like right at the beginning of track number 2.
The Mussorgsky recording will be generally more impressive. It is also one of the best sounding recordings I own, without even factoring in the immense and impressive low end. This CD will go as low as the one mentioned above, but it has all kinds of bass in all registers. You will find all kinds of low frequency goodies on this CD. Absolutely amazing in every way.
The Blue Man Group CD and the DVD are both excellent, but the Mussorgsky kills it in shear low end output. It is a different kind of disc. I used to play classical bass professionally, so I have done my homework in regards to CD's with a lot of low bass.
Also worth mentioning is the Organ Blaster CD (Telarc) with Michael Murray playing Organ. The last track is the last movement of the Saint Saens organ Symphony. HUGE bass drum attacks and low 16 Hz tones abound on this track. I find that Home Theater demands aren't nearly as intense as listening to organ recordings at reference levels. Try this track out at reference levels. You will find that the actual recording level of this track and most of these CD's is very low, because they need HUGE amounts of dynamic headroom to keep up with the organ at full tilt.
For incredible bass drum "whacks" the following CD's have no peer.
Copland Buckaroo Holiday - Argo - Baltimore Symphony conducted by David Zinman
Copland Symphony No. 3 second movement - Telarc - Atlanta Symphony conducted by Yoel Levi
Stravinsky - Rite of Spring - Reference Recordings - Minnesota Orchestra conducted by Eiji Ouie
The bass drums on these recordings are recorded incredibly well. They have a gigantic sense of realism. Not to mention that the recordings and the pieces on them are also fantastic. I enjoy the bass drum hits just as much as the rest of the recordings. :)
If you had to pick one, get the Mussorgsky. I use it to demo my system more than I do The Haunting. :) The Pomp and Pipes CD just ends up scaring people half to death because it is so loud, so I usually don't demo it. Hope that this helps. Email me if you would like more titles. I have got thousands...
Chad

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard them yet, but I plan to pick up the disk soon.

Sheffield Labs recording of "Kodo: Heartbeat Drummers of Japan"

Someone on another thread recommended it, and it intrigues me. Enya is also pretty good.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Anyways, these are more of your MTV type bands that I noticed have bass that I enjoy in my car.

Beastie Boys - *Intergalactic, Brass monkey, *Body Movin

Nelly - country grammer

Dre Dre feat eminem - forgot about dre

Eminem - stan, kill you

Britney Spears - slave

prodigy - breathe

crystal method

J lo - feelin so fine

gorillaz - clint eastwood

cake - short skirt long jacket

No doubt - hey baby

Kylie - can't get you outta my head

Greg Risley

Second Unit
If you like jazz/big band then you have got to get the dvd calle 'Big Phat Band: Swinging for the fences' There is tremendous bass and really good music.

Greg

Chad Kuypers

Stunt Coordinator
How could I forget...
Copland - Fanfare for the Common Man - Reference Recordings - performed by the Eije Ouie and the Minnesota Orchestra
The bass drum hits on this track are absolutely out of this world. I am talking GIGANTIC!!! Like the Mussorgsky CD, this one will sound good no matter HOW loud or low your subwoofer will actually play. If your subwoofer DOES go truly low, this recording will blow your mind. The soundstage, depth, and scale of this recording are awe-inspiring. I can't believe I forgot this one!! :D Definitely worth picking up.
I am glad that you started this thread. I have had a lot of people emailing me for discs like this as a result of my reply, and I welcome that. A subwoofer isn't of any use if you dont' have great stuff to play through it, right? Cheers...
Chad

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a Copeland recording that is amazing. Mine is a 1997 BMG recording "Copeland - The Music of America" Kunzel directing. Track 2, Buckaroo Holiday is just phenominal. This was a Grammy winner for that year. This is an album that could make you like classical if you don't already.

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
Try any of the Telarc-Cincinnati Popos by Kunzel such as The Big Picture, Fantastic Journey, Star Tracks, etc. They are awesome recordings. Just be careful with your system for the first listen. Could toast your system.

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Just go to a good car stereo place, one where they hold competitions and pick up an IASCA competition testing CD. Has music and test tones I believe. That's what their made for, evaluating sound systems.

Aaron D

Stunt Coordinator
I am a fan of Morphine's The Night. Although its not as pounding as the organs, the 2-string slide bass (jazz-rock sound) is outstanding!!

A

PeterV

Agent
Hi Wes,

Pictures At An Exhibition and Organ Blaster are excellent selections to test your sonosub, as Chad previously stated.

Also try the Pink Floyd Pulse Album,(disk-1,track-9).

This track makes my whole house shake and i get nauseous!

Have fun,

Pete V.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Chad,

Pomp and Pipes came in the mail today. I ended up getting that one, since I had a gift certificate to Sam Goody, and that was the only title on their site that you had mentioned. I'm definitely going to pick up the Minnesota Copland disc as well, as that is one of my favorite pieces to hear and play.

Wow! I still need to dial my new sub in, but I really like the 2nd track, on this disc. Great brass playing, and the bass drum and organ pedals are amazing. Sometimes it doesn't seem super loud, but then I looked over and hung pictures were shaking off the walls! Pretty cool.

Thanks for the recommendations, and also to all the rest of you who replied. I have a long list of CD's now to look for used, or from BMG.

Thanks again,

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks