1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

CD/Software to test HT system..Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_s, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

I own a copy of AVIA and I got the system set up reasonably well. I have listened to all kinds of music and like the sound. The SUB seems well balanced (smooth transition to mains)and not "booming" now. The low frequency sweep test in AVIA tests out great down to 30hz. I also like listening at 75db, 85db just seems too loud for me.
    What I want to test is the low frequency sound of the system for HT use. I can burn my own CD so maybe there is some software, shareware etc that would let me set up something to really test the system. A DVD that is full of low frequency effects would help.
    My system is a budget system so let me tell you what I have right now:
    Mains: JBL N26
    Center: N-center
    Sub: Sony SA-wm40 (have 30 days to decide)
    Receiver: 70w/channel, DPL (no DD or DPL II), no sub out so I had to wire the L&R speaker outputs to the SUB and then the SUB to the Mains. Probably will get a Denon 1602 in a month or so.
    Here is my problem:
    I watched some TV shows and a few movies that have exploding cars etc and they sound like gun shots more than bombs going off, Guns sound like firecrackers. AVIA shows very good responce down to 30Hz. I listen to music like Metallica by Metallica (the black albumn) and the drums etc sound quite good. I would have to beleive that the movies and shows are just poor sources but I want to convince myself that I can get reasonable HT low frequency sound with this SUB. I need a source I can trust that will give me a great test of the Subwoofer in the system so I can decide if the one I have is good enough for HT or I need to get a different one.
    Thanks

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Nothing will ever test a subwoofer like the CD soundtracks to Fight Club, Blade , and Blade 2[​IMG]