CD/RW drive pauses for 2 minutes before burning

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Y, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

This is really strange ....
    Starting yesterday, when I burn an audio CD using Feurio on my laptop, the drive will pause for approx. 2 minutes and 10 seconds prior to burning the CD. This is during the writing of the lead-in track. The status of the track goes all the way up to 100%. But the light on the CD drive is off and it surely doesn't sound like any activity is going on. After that, it will begin burning and I think the CDs are being created okay.
    This never happened before and I've burned tons of CDs using EAC, Feurio and CloneCD. I've even tried reinstalling Win XP; prior to that, I had not changed any system settings or even updated any software in the recent weeks.
    Any ideas? I know what Dell's going to tell me: they don't support Feurio, we didn't ship your laptop with XP Pro, etc.
    System configuration:
    Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook
    Matsushita UJDA330 CD-RW drive
    Win XP Pro
    Pentium3 1 GHz
    192 MB Ram
    20 gig hard disk, partitioned into 2 drives, each with plenty of space left.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Normally I would say it's just a pause while the write-buffer fills up. But, 2 mins is a long time. What speed are you burning?

I have yet to install my XP. (I know, I know) So I can't offer much insight there.

Perhaps you just have a flighty batch of CD-R's. Are you using your usual brand? Do you have any CD-R's from another batch you could try?

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I'm burning at 8X. Never had a problem before and like I said, there's nothing wrong with the discs once they're burned.

I never thought about the media being the problem. I'll look into that.

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

It was the media that was the culprit. I just tried popping in a Fuji blank (Taiyo Yuden manufactured) and no pause! The ones that were causing the problem were TDKs. Sometimes TDKs are made by T.Y., sometimes by Ritek, but these were from CMC or something.

Guess I'll stick to Fuji's from now on. KMart always has 50 spindles for $17.99. Best Buy had 100 for $7.99 after rebate last week and of course they were out of them. But I got a raincheck.

So let this be a lesson, the media you burn on does make a difference!