CD-RW drive not recognizing discs!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brianacook, Dec 7, 2001.

1. brianacook

brianacook Stunt Coordinator

A few weeks ago, I purchased a Sony VAIO PCV-RX540 with a DVD-ROM drive and a CD-RW drive.

When I first tried to burn discs (using WIndows Media Player for XP), it wasn't working right. I discovered that I was trying to burn at 24x and the discs could only handle 16x. I reduced the speed to 16x and had no trouble.

Then, I bought a box of different discs and they wouldn't work again. I reduced the speed to 8x, then 4x just in case. Still didn't work.

I went and bought a box of the same discs that worked the first time, reset the speed to 16x, and now the drive doesn't even seem to be recognizing any discs. I even tried putting in a regular music cd and it didn't even recognize that.

Before I go through the torture that is Sony tech support, does anyone have any recommendations. Do I possibly need to reinstall the driver for the CD-RW? I think all the hardware drivers are on a backup disc.

Brian

2. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Brian - That sounds very odd. Your drive may have died... but I am by NO means an expert on this kind of issue, just a hobbyist. If you are able, try to use the drive in another computer to see if it works. It's a pain in the ass, but I can't think of anything else based on the symptoms you present.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

It's certainly worth trying to reinstall the drive before you take it in for service. Go into Device Manager, delete the drive from the device list, reboot and Windows should detect the drive and reinstall. If you still can't recognise any disc in the drive then it's fairly safe to say that it's chuffed.