CD rot article in the globe and mail........

Discussion in 'Music' started by Joseph J.D, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Read this article in the globe and mail newspaper this morning......scary stuff [​IMG]

here is the link

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

If true, (10-15% won't last 10 years) the music industry would owe us big time.

Makes me want to check out some of my older disks.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have discs I bought at the beg. 1984 ish. I personally have never experienced this. I have maybe 1000 discs, and have bought and sold probably another 500. (Only keep what I like.)

I have seen other commentary on articles like this, and the gist is that they are making a mountain out of a mole hole.

But, there definitely has been issues with specific discs, production runs, and plants. Where a bad batch of discs got out to the public, etc. Quality control is never perfect for anything.

But it never hurts to check a few discs in your own collection. [​IMG]

4. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Oh, brother.... here we go again...[​IMG]

This reads to me like another alarmist article written to the general public. While I have no doubt that certain production runs may have been bad, I think that how the discs are cared for is a much bigger issue. My take on this whole thing is that it is blown way out of proportion, and is largely the by-product of people mistreating their collections and looking to blame something (or someone else). For those of us that know a little about the proper care & feeding of optical media, we won't ecounter this nearly as much as J6P (and if you are on this forum, I think you know what you are doing)...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=197510

Peace... Derek [​IMG]

5. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Same here... CDs since '84 ---> I even think I have one from '83 and its one of those with the aluminum layer going out to the edge. Just checked it out and it plays fine.

I have a feeling CDs will still be playing many, many years from now (if stored properly), and - most importantly - perfect back-ups can be made in the interim. Interesting how that little fact was totally glossed over by the article...

Cheers,

6. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    The article doesn't bring much new information to bear on the subject.

However, I'd certainly like to see an executive summary of the results of the testing and research done by the Library of Congress.

One thing that I have not read before on the whole subject of CD oxidization/pinholing is the bit about the LoC's discovery that the disc's oxidization/corroding was accelerated by the high sulphur content of paper. It's not clear from the article, however, whether the Library is referring to the paper from which the CD's (album) liner notes were made (unlikely), or the paper from some kind of sleeve that was in direct contact with the 900 discs.

-p

7. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    But this having been said, it also deserves mention that I have a few discs that have been under if not exemplary then at least identical care as others with no problems that are pinholed beyond playability.

-p

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I've seen a few CD's turn black and become less than perfectly playable. The glue thing is a biggie. I met a Magnavox employee in the 80's who was torture testing CD's and LD's. The glue wasn't right for either of these cousin formats in the very beginning. The original glue oxidized over time and released it (oxygen) into the discs, damaging them. The changeover of the glue supposedly happened in 1984.

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

One thing I forgot to mention that probably most people here already know, is that it's actually the label side where the danger occurs. Really quite thin over the Al layer. The plastic on the bottom can put up with a lot more abuse before the integrity of the Al layer is jeopardized.

10. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

I thought CDs are one-sided and do not have a bonding agent...

11. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot

I was thinking the same thing.

Most of my CD's were bought between '85 and about '95. My music buying days kind of got slower since getting married in '95.

I've only had one CD go bad on me out of the near thousand or so that I have - and I play even my first two CD's I bought in early '85 (before I even bought my first player) quite often today: Tangerine Dream's "LeParc" and Heart's "Little Queen". The bad one that now plays with constant pops and clicks is Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good" (from around '88-'89). It turns out that the label side surface has lots of really hard-to-see hairline scratches all over the label laquer coating, and just barely visible on the playing side so it obviously goes through the aluminum layer. Given the redundant error checking built into the CD format, and the ability to read through 1/4" holes if it had to, it seams that the disc should still play fine, but not in this case. Although, an over 5-hour long rip using EAC (constant read and sync errors, but it didn't give up) was able to give me a pop-free copy that I could thankfully burn to a new CD-r.

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Yeah, I quess CD's are one piece. The Magnavox guy I chatted with was torturing both formats, this was mid-80's. He and his lab were on a mission to find the breaking points of CD's and LD's. They baked them, sat on 'em, frooze them, scratched them, stir-fried 'em, ect.

If everybody had to download all their CD's because of CD rot, there would be a certain irony in that. I've had so few fail, it's hard to imagine, for the time being.

13. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

And they still have things written on paper (or paper-like materials) from biblical times that are far more prone to deterioration than CD's.

I'm just saying that in all likelyhood a copy of Billy Joel's Stormfront is likely to be listenable in the year 3156.

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Garrett- I like your analogy. When I was a kid, I bought and read a whole bunch of sci fi paperbacks. I remember reading articles back then (in the 70's), that all of those paperbacks would disintegrate by the year 2000. Well, I still have them all! [​IMG]