CD-ROM Speed

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dan Mertz, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Dan Mertz

Dan Mertz Stunt Coordinator

I have noticed that the packaging for blank CD-Rs have a speed listed on them (4x, 32x, 40x, etc.). Does it matter if this speed is higher or lower than the read/write speed of my CD-ROM drive?

2. Rob Silver

Rob Silver Stunt Coordinator

How fast a CDR can be written is limited to how fast your CD writer can burn. But you can burn faster than the rated speed of a CDR on a faster burner, though not always.

BTW, this belongs in the computer section.

(Admin note - and now it is!)

3. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Seeing as the writing capabilities of a CD-RW drive is limited by its write speed, you shouldn't encounter any coaster-generating situations by using faster-rated media on a slower CD-RW drive. The quality of the media is more important than the maximum write speed they're rated at. Actually, some CD-RW enthusiasts recommend burning data at a slightly slower speed than what your drive is rated at, to minimize the likelihood of errors during the writing process, regardless of whether your drive has a memory buffer or not.

I have used 40x CD-R media on a previous 24x CD-RW drive and 52x CD-R media on a 48x CD-RW drive. Ironically, my TDK burner does not like TDK-branded media, seeing as they're actually manufactured by Taiwan-based CMC Magnetics, which has a track record of giving TDK/Lite-On drive owners fits.

4. Rob Silver

Rob Silver Stunt Coordinator

For best results, get the FujiFilm CDR from Best Buy. Make sure the label says Made in Japan, which means the CDRs are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, the best media maker, bar none.

5. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

I second Rob's recommendation. Coincidentally, FujiFilm CD-R 50-pack spindles are on sale this week at Best Buy. It's $5.99 after $7 mail-in rebate. Avoid the 'Made In Taiwan' ones.

You can also buy Taiyo Yuden CD-R discs from online retailers such as Neato. Sign up for Neato's e-mail newsletter to receive the occasional 20% off discount on all purchases.

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer