1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

cd recorders

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by erik bush, Oct 24, 2001.

1. erik bush

erik bush Agent

i'm in the market for a dual deck cd recorder. i have around 350 to spend, and the best thing i've found in that price range is the philips cdr775. anyone have any opinions? suggestions? etc? thanks,
    ~erik
    ------------------
    my dvd list
    "what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Erik, I bought the Philips CDR 775 last year, but returned it after a week because I was having trouble making good copies. Whether I copied at 1x or 2x, I made coasters more often than not. Maybe I had a bad unit, but I exchanged it for a Harman/Kardon CDR 2. The CDR 2 was a better unit than the Philips in every way. Still, the CDR 2 made an occasional bad copy, which Harman/Kardon said was a result of the firmware used. I ended up selling the CDR 2 after about eight months and getting the Harman/Kardon CDR 30. I've had no problems whatsoever with the CDR 30. I bought it for $450 from OneCall back in February, which seems to be a bit out of your price range. However, at that time, OneCall quoted me $350 for the Harman/Kardon CDR 20. I'd give the CDR 20 a look. It's supposed to have newer firmware than the CDR 2, so it should be a reliable recorder.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Erik, by the way, the Pioneer PDR-W839 is supposed to be a good unit in your price range as well. It has a three-disc stacked CD changer along with the single-disc recording tray and also sports a PC keyboard input for naming discs and tracks on CD-Rs and CD-RWs. I have not used the 'W839, but I have always read good things about Pioneer's CD recorders in magazine reviews.
    ------------------
    My:

4. erik bush

erik bush Agent

thanks for the replies. i'll definately check out both h/k units.
    ~erik
    ------------------
    my dvd list
    "what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    is an internal computer CD-R/W an option for you? it's certainly cheaper, faster, more flexible, and has access to more songs! i personally don't see the point to non-computer cd burners...
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Erik,
    No problem. Good luck.
    Thomas,
    I have both types of burners and like them for different applications. For example, I like using the Harman/Kardon CDR 30 component burner for making dubs of CDs. By contrast, I use my computer burner for making mixes. I don't have a straight CD-ROM drive with my computer, just the burner drive, so making dubs with the computer isn't as convenient. I could buy a CD-ROM drive for very little money to facilitate dubbing, but I prefer the component burner. It's very easy to use. The drawback of computer burners to me is having to use and tie up the computer in the process. The H/K burner allows me to set up the dubbing process very quickly. That's nice if I want to dub a CD for the car when I am getting ready to go out. Starting up the computer and all of that takes too long.
    Despite certain drawbacks of using my computer burner, I much prefer it for making mixes. The computer, of course, allows me to store each song for a mix CD as a file on the hard drive. With this method, if I make a coaster (CD-R) either because of an error in the burning or extraction processes, I don't have to start all over again from scratch. I still have the songs stored on the hard drive. If the coaster was caused by an extraction error (which I've experienced on occasion), I delete the one song file (the other song files are fine and stored) and extract the song from the CD again and then burn everything to another CD-R. If something went awry just in burning to a CD-R, I just run it again. With a component burner, if you make a coaster in creating a mix, you have to start all over again with all the CDs since you can't store songs as files anywhere. What a pain.
    ------------------
    My:

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Audio CD-R decks are very fussy with regards to the disks that you use. There also seems to be serious quality issues with verious brands of decks and media.
    Take a look over at the Audio Review web site. You will find user reports for every brand and model that is out there.
    Be aware that some of what you read will be BS, but it will give you a good feel for the issues at hand.
    FTR, I use a Pioneer 509, which hates Memorex software, but works well with TDK. Others have had no luck with the 509 with ANY software.
    Good Luck,
    BL

8. erik bush

erik bush Agent

i have a cdrw already, i don't like to use it for making mix cds because because i tend to get a cd with 3-5 different volume levels for songs. which brings me to my next question. i've pretty much decided on the hk cdr20, but i had a quick question. does it do the volume eq stuff? i know the philips will, and i think the hk will, but it's not really clear on the all the spec sheets i've found. the audioreview stuff seems to be mostly favorable for this unit as well.
    thanks alot for the replies.
    ~erik
    ------------------
    my dvd list

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Erik, I know the H/K CDR 30 allows you to adjust recording levels in the digital domain, but I am not sure the CDR 20 does. For some reason, I believe this is one feature that distinguishes the CDR 30 from the CDR 20, though I could be wrong. I know the CDR 30 offers HDCD decoding and playback of MP3-encoded CDs, which the CDR 20 lacks.
    ------------------
    My: