Cd recorders.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne Murphy, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Wayne Murphy

Wayne Murphy Stunt Coordinator

Hey all. I am interested in buying a CD to CD recorder.
    Are there any that have more than 1 CD to 1 CD? Like a 3 to 1 setup? How much does the media cost? I have a large collection of CDs that I want to make some "car tunes" CDs from. Do you use the computer ones or different ones? These are for my own use and I own them so I don't think there is any copyright infringement problems.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Wayne

2. don b mullis

don b mullis Auditioning

Wayne,
    I own the pioneer 509 single disk recorder. It works perfectly with both digital & analog sources.
    Walmart has a 50 pack spindle of 80 min. 'duraguard' brand 'music' cdr's for $25 & an imation 50 pack of slim cases for $15. A fellow hobbiest recommended the 'duraguard' brand so I purchased these for myself also. As soon as my 'memorex' cdr's run out I will use these. I've also used sony,maxell,& tdk cd'rs with excellent results.
    As to your multi disk dubbing capabilities, I know of no recorder that a makes more than 1 dub @ a time.A possible solution may be to get a double or quadruple speed recorder.Mine is only a real-time recorder. I'm sure fellow hobbiests could steer you in the right direction with those.
    I hope this helps,
    Don M.

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Wayne,
    I took your meaning of "3 to 1" to be "3playback discs to 1 record disc." If that is what you meant then I know JVC and Philips both have this type of model and I think one or two more manufacturers do as well, but I don't recall which ones. Also, I remember reading somewhere recently of a new standalone recorder that will also burn onto "data" discs. I'll see if I can't find out which model that is for you. In my opinion that would be the way to go since you can typically find Data CDR's much cheaper. Best of Luck.
    Dan Hine

4. Wayne Murphy

Wayne Murphy Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. Any info is helpful. So you don't have to buy 'music' discs as apposed to 'data' discs? I heard someone say they were different so that the recording industry could get royalties from the sale of blank 'music' discs.

5. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I have a Marantz CDR-630 that uses ANY blank CD material. It also has no copy management what so ever. It has performed flawlessly for me always.
    The upside to a Pro unit is...uses ANY blank CD...sometimes I can buy them for as little as $.08 a piece.
    ------------------
    "The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
    David Manning-Critic

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I'm just curious, how does one go about buying a CD-R for .08? The best prices I've ever seen are 3-4 times that much.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you're making mix CDs from existing CDs and you have a computer I would recommend a computer based solution. You can copy the tracks to your hard drive using a "ripping" program such as Exact Audio Copy, then make CDs of the songs in any order you want. Much more convenient than a standalone audio CD recorder. If you are recoring from analog sources such as LP or casette an audio recorder is better, but for digital to digital copying a CD-R in the computer is a better and more convenient way to go.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!