CD recorder vs VCD recorder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Victor R, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Victor R

Victor R Agent

Hi all; this is my first post though I have been following the forum for some time. (Thank you Shawn S for shaming me into registering.)
    My question has to do with VCD recorders. I am in the market for a CD recorder which my teenage daughter has been bugging me to get for some time. I am debating, though, whether a VCD unit may not be a better choice given my somewhat limited budget, as it will allow video recording (albeit at VHS quality) as well. Ultimately, of course, I would like a DVD recorder, but the prices on these will likely be prohibitive for some time yet.
    The VCD reorders I have seen so far are the Terapin unit, the Amoisonic VDR 2000, and three units that all seem to be the same: the Likko VDR 2100, the "LKC 210", and the "DVA 2100" which are sold on eBay. I have found reviews of the Terapin unit on line, which are disparaging of its audio quality. (Also, the unit is UGLY!). I have not been able to find any information on the Asian units I listed.
    Does anyone here have any experience with VCD recorders in terms of their audio recording quality? Should I even be thinking along these lines as compared to a CD recorder alone instead, and wait about two years for DVD recorder prices to plateau?
    Thanks.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Victor. Welcome to HTF!
    If you have a computer, a CDR drive with software is about $120. It can rip tracks from your existing CD's and put them back on. (The only problem is that your daughter will then tie up your computer on the weekends. But getting daughters involved with technology is justification enough for me [​IMG])
    You can buy a burner that looks like a piece of stereo equipment, but they are less-flexable than the CDR drive and 2-3 times more expensive. ($499 the last time I looked). The computer also allows you to convert MP3's and other formats into CD's.
    I did have a Terapin unit for review, but I was mainly interested in the VCD portion, not the audio so I could not advise you as to the quality. The video quality .... Think medium quality VCR with cheap tapes. (But is IS fun to burn favorite TV shows, concerts onto CD's. Much simpler to store than tapes).
    Hope this helps.

3. Steve Kramzer

Steve Kramzer Stunt Coordinator

Go for the computer cd-r recorder, its alot cheaper and a better investment. Ive seen 12x recorders for 120 and cheaper online. If you want to record tv, I would suggest getting an ATI All in Wonder Radeon, I got mine online for $180. You can record in mpeg1 or mpeg2, thus if you also have that computer cd-r drive, you can burn ur shows to vcd or svcd with nero.

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i agree with Steve. computer CD-R/W drives are cheap now (i have a Plextor 12/10/32A) and MUCH better than externals. also, the media for reference cd-recorders is harder to find and more expensive. i get blank cd-r's in 50 bundles for like $30. and you can download songs from the net and burn them (not that i advise you to break copyright laws).
    just my $.02
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  6. Victor R

Victor R Agent

Thanks, everyone!
    I'll look into the computer products - clearly, the price is right.
    Now my problem will be figuring out how to install an internal drive into my computer. I have been an audiophile for over 25 years and a videophile for 15, but computers are still unknowns. I have had one for four years but have not done much with it personally; I taught the kids how to install software but have never done hardware mods. (Maybe I can get my daughter to do this [​IMG] - I think burning CD's is a much better use of her time than instant messaging her friends.)
    This opens up a whole new venue for me. Somehow, however, I worry that this, too, can ultimately become another $$$ drain...
    Victor