1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

CD recorder suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter f, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Peter f

Peter f Stunt Coordinator

Hi All, in the market for a stand alone cd burner deck, any recommendations? looking at the Phillips unit with the 3 disc tray + one, anything i should be looking for? looking to spend $399.00 or less.

thanks!

Yammy RXV-795A

OUTLAW 750

KLIPSCH LEGENDS

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    There are a lot of good deals on E-Bay as well both factory refurbished and new. I saw the single disc Philips for $129.99 to 'buy it now' at that price about a week ago. I picked up a Pioneer Elite factory refurbished that is quite good as a transport/player as well for less than you can spend. It depends on what features one is looking for. Obviously with a changer and recorder, it could be convenient to make copies. I have another transport that goes directly into the digital input of the CD recorder and also a changer I could use if I desire so it is not an important feature for me.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Peter, I am not a fan of refurbished gear simply because one never knows where it has been and what has happened to it (no offense, Philip [​IMG]). The terms of the warranty are sometimes limited on refurbished gear as well, depending on the manufacturer.
    In any event, I will make a strong recommendation that you stretch your budget a bit. Take a look at the Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray recorder. I bought one back in February from OneCall (authorized dealer) brand new in a sealed box for $450. It is an excellent recorder and a very capable CD player. It allows internal dubbing of CDs at up to 4x speed and also offers on-board decoding of HDCD and MP3-encoded CDs. Also, the remote is very well-designed, and the CDR 30 is very elegant in appearance. The only drawback to my mind is that the owner's manual is cumbersome. However, once you use the CDR 30 a few times, you probably won't find yourself using the manual too often.
    Importantly, I have never made a coaster with the CDR 30, and I find copies to sound as good as the original CDs. Truthfully, I couldn't be happier with the CDR 30.
    You may be interested to know that the CDR 30 has gotten very good reviews in recent months in Sound & Vision, Hi-Fi Choice (UK), and What Hi*Fi? (UK). The CDR 30 received good marks both as a recorder and a CD player.
    When I bought the CDR 30, OneCall was selling the Harman/Kardon CDR 20 for $350. The CDR 20 is similar to the CDR 30, but the CDR 20 lacks decoding of HDCD and MP3-encoded discs. Also, the CDR 30 offers digital recording level adjustment, and the CDR 20 does not. Finally, I believe the CDR 30 has more inputs and outputs. In the past few months, the CDR 20 has not been reviewed as well as the CDR 30 by Hi-Fi Choice and What Hi-Fi?. The reviewers felt the CDR 20 was not as good a recorder or player.
    Another recorder that has garnered excellent reviews is the Pioneer PDR-609, which you should be able to get for $300 or less. It's a single-tray recorder, so you have to connect an external CD player for recording, meaning you lose the convenience of high-speed dubbing. Nevertheless, I have yet to read a bad review of the '609. In fact, What Hi*Fi? named it the recorder of the year for 2001. For what it's worth, What Hi*Fi? named the Harman/Kardon CDR 30 the best recorder in its price class for 2001.