CD recorder suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter f, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Peter f

Peter f Stunt Coordinator

Mar 14, 2000
    Hi All, in the market for a stand alone cd burner deck, any recommendations? looking at the Phillips unit with the 3 disc tray + one, anything i should be looking for? looking to spend $399.00 or less.

Yammy RXV-795A

OUTLAW 750

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jan 23, 1999

Phil A Producer

Oct 1, 2000
    There are a lot of good deals on E-Bay as well both factory refurbished and new. I saw the single disc Philips for $129.99 to 'buy it now' at that price about a week ago. I picked up a Pioneer Elite factory refurbished that is quite good as a transport/player as well for less than you can spend. It depends on what features one is looking for. Obviously with a changer and recorder, it could be convenient to make copies. I have another transport that goes directly into the digital input of the CD recorder and also a changer I could use if I desire so it is not an important feature for me.
  4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mar 28, 2000
    Peter, I am not a fan of refurbished gear simply because one never knows where it has been and what has happened to it (no offense, Philip [​IMG]). The terms of the warranty are sometimes limited on refurbished gear as well, depending on the manufacturer.
    In any event, I will make a strong recommendation that you stretch your budget a bit. Take a look at the Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray recorder. I bought one back in February from OneCall (authorized dealer) brand new in a sealed box for $450. It is an excellent recorder and a very capable CD player. It allows internal dubbing of CDs at up to 4x speed and also offers on-board decoding of HDCD and MP3-encoded CDs. Also, the remote is very well-designed, and the CDR 30 is very elegant in appearance. The only drawback to my mind is that the owner's manual is cumbersome. However, once you use the CDR 30 a few times, you probably won't find yourself using the manual too often.
    Importantly, I have never made a coaster with the CDR 30, and I find copies to sound as good as the original CDs. Truthfully, I couldn't be happier with the CDR 30.
    You may be interested to know that the CDR 30 has gotten very good reviews in recent months in Sound & Vision, Hi-Fi Choice (UK), and What Hi*Fi? (UK). The CDR 30 received good marks both as a recorder and a CD player.
    When I bought the CDR 30, OneCall was selling the Harman/Kardon CDR 20 for $350. The CDR 20 is similar to the CDR 30, but the CDR 20 lacks decoding of HDCD and MP3-encoded discs. Also, the CDR 30 offers digital recording level adjustment, and the CDR 20 does not. Finally, I believe the CDR 30 has more inputs and outputs. In the past few months, the CDR 20 has not been reviewed as well as the CDR 30 by Hi-Fi Choice and What Hi-Fi?. The reviewers felt the CDR 20 was not as good a recorder or player.
    Another recorder that has garnered excellent reviews is the Pioneer PDR-609, which you should be able to get for $300 or less. It's a single-tray recorder, so you have to connect an external CD player for recording, meaning you lose the convenience of high-speed dubbing. Nevertheless, I have yet to read a bad review of the '609. In fact, What Hi*Fi? named it the recorder of the year for 2001. For what it's worth, What Hi*Fi? named the Harman/Kardon CDR 30 the best recorder in its price class for 2001.