CD Recommendation: Kasey Chambers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    [​IMG] I have found a CD I really like:
    Kasey Chambers, Barricades and Brickwalls
    (Warner, 948028-2)
    The recording is fantastic for redbook, but the performance is outstanding. Why don't they play this stuff on the radio?
    This is good music...A lot of country, a bit of folk, and some rock-like edge for good measure...
    Any other Kasey fans out there?
    Lee

2. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

You bet. Been listening to Kasey for for a while. Do you have her previous album The Captain? She got a lot of attention thanks to the inclusion of the song The Captain in The Sopranos last year.
    She performed on Fri night's Craig Kilborn show. That after a huge performance in Austin last weekend and collapsing in San Francisco this week. No market buys more Kasey albums than austin, she acknowledges. I got a raving review from friends who attented the Austin show at La Zona Rosa.
    Also, look for a re-run of an Austin City Limits show from last year featuring Kasey Chambers and Steve Earle. On this show she performs Changed The Locks by Lucinda Williams, often covered by Tom Petty. Her association with Earle, Williams, and Emmylou Harris is indicative of her relevance.
    And, there are some recordings floating around of her covering Tear Stained Eye by Son Volt, and Better Be Home Soon by Tim Finn/Crowded House.
    She is also on the cover of the current No Depression magazine.

3. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

I gave it a listen in Borders just the other night...and liked it very much. Didn't pick it up then ($19!!??), but probably will soon. Isn't she from Australia?

4. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Yes Brian, she's an Aussie. And that's a terrible price, you can find it new for much less ($13-14 most places).

5. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Best Buy had it priced at $16. Costly. I can probably find a used copy for much cheaper.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I will look for The Captain and the Austin Limits show. Sounds wonderful!

Brian,

Glad you found a better price. I think I paid around $13-14 at Tower for my copy. Borders is officially a clip joint at $19. Enjoy!

Lee

7. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I saw her open for Lucinda Williams last summer. Really great, energetic set that wowed the audience. (I was fortunate enough to be in the second row and thought maybe I was so impressed because I was so close. The crowd's roar of approval signalled that I wasn't the only one who thought she was really good.) She played a couple tracks from the new album then (including the title track), and I look forward to picking it up.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, thanks for the info. I have been intrigued by her music ever since I heard "The Captain" on The Sopranos SACD. It's a great song. Frankly, I had never heard of her prior to picking up the SACD. SACD has exposed me to some great music that I would likely never have discovered otherwise.

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Keith,

Count me in for The Captain.

Have you seen it anywhere for a good price?

Lee

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, I have not yet shopped around for any Kasey Chambers CDs. I suspect that Best Buy and Circuit City (the usual suspects) could have her CDs priced reasonably.

11. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

I was in a Border's this evening and they had the new Kasey Chambers CD, bundled with a Kasey Chambers promo CD sampler, on sale for either $12.99 or $13.99 (sorry, don't remember exactly which, but one of those prices). So, two CDs. They promo CD is taped to the back of the new CD.

There were a number of these at the Border's on Ventura Blvd. in Sherman Oaks (LA area), by the coffee bar.

12. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Btw, if you like Kasey you might check out Kelly Willis. If you ever come across the four-song EP called Fading Fast, it's a must own. Catch is, it was only officially released in Texas. But it turns up everywhere.
    On Fading Fast her band for two songs is Son Volt, on another it's Son Volt sans Jay Farrar and plus Gary Louris (Jayhawks), and on another it's 16 Horsepower. It's an all but legendary recording.
    Her more recent album What I Deserve is good too. I would strongly recommend her to Kasey fans.
    http://www.kellywillis.com/

13. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

One more thing...

If anyone gets the promo CD included with her new release, please post what is on it. If it has songs from Fading Fast, that is a great buy.

14. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

The promo CD contains two songs from the Barricades and Brickwalls album, the same one with which the promo is packaged. I think it's "Not Pretty Enough" and "No More Tears," but don't hold me to it. Both of the songs on there are the regular album versions, though.

On the sleeve of the promo disc is a note saying, "If you liked Kasey Chambers, pass this sampler on to a friend who might like her."

So it's sort of a guerrilla marketing thing aimed to beef up word-of-mouth, but no bonus to the person who bought the album.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

16. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Ken, thanks. I didn't know that. I'm more a fan of solo Tim Finn than Crowded House, but often hear him do that song from Crowded House.

17. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

18. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Actually Tim Finn did appear on the "Temple Of Low Men" release which contained the song "Better Be Home Soon". He wasn't officially a member of Crowded House at the time (only for Woodface) but I think he sang background vocals on the original cut.

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Man you guys know your Crowded House.

I have been listening THE CAPTAIN by Kasey. Also outstanding!

We have not seen the end of this talented musician.

Lee

20. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Just picked up the album & attached sampler from BB.