What's new

CD-R questions for newbie (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think I am in the right section with these questions, but maybe you can help me out. I just bought a new computer with a CD burner and I want to start burning CDs, of course.

I went to Best Buy and bought a 50 pack Memorex of CD-R (700MB, 80MIN, 32X) for $14.99. Is this a good deal? I know they had some better deal last week but I missed it. How much should I be paying for these? And, is Memorex a good brand?

Also, am I better off buying them in a jewel case instead? Obviously, you don't get as good of a deal this way. I have heard CD-Rs scratch easier, even in holders with plastic sleeves.

Thanks.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I think you did pretty well with Memorex CD-Rs at a brick-and-mortar store. You can usually buy "house brands" or lesser-known brands for less in stores. For example, Staples sells their own CD-Rs for less than Memorex CD-Rs. Also, you might find better deals online. All in all, $15 isn't bad for 50 Memorex CD-Rs. I use them, and they have always worked well for me.

The spindle packs are cheaper than buying CD-Rs in jewel cases, of course, but you should get something to store your recorded discs in (jewel cases or a CD wallet). Don't store recorded CD-Rs on the spindle, as they could get scratched. I bought a spindle pack of Memorex CD-Rs recently to make copies of CDs for my CD jukeboxes, but, of course, I don't need jewel cases since the CD-Rs will go right in the jukeboxes.

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
I've used Memorex CD-Rs ever since I bought my first CD burner 2 years ago. Never had any major problems with them. If I did, it was due to a crappy computer I had at the time.

$14.99 is a good deal in my book. I remember having to pay about $30 for a 50-pack a year or so ago.

Definitely get some jewel cases for your CDs. These can be had cheaply. I really don't use them too much, because every CD I make goes into my CD wallet in my truck. I only keep the jewel cases to give to friends when I make my compilation CDs.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If you get jewel cases, get the thin ones. Not only do they take up half the space of a standard case, but they seem a bit tougher too. They don't break as easily.

The only drawback of the thin cases is you can't put a U-card in the back, only a sheet or booklet in the front. But for my CD-Rs I can live with that.

KJP

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

Where is the best place to get the thin cases? I think they were selling 10 or 15 for 7.99 at BB.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I had my first batch of bad discs within the past two weeks-- a box of Memorex CDRW (700 minutes, green box) discs, half of which wouldn't work. I'm going to try and bring them back to Fry's tomorrow afternoon and contact Memorex directly if the store won't take 'em back.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have been buying "house brands" from places like Office Depot and Staples, and usually pay on average $.07 - $.10 per disc for 50 or 100 packs. I've had a few bad discs, but at a dime or less per disc, I can live with that.

Since I am only using CD-R's to make compilation discs from my CD collection to play in the car, I am storing the CD-R's in a large Case Logic folder that holds about 100 discs. I use some spare regular-sized jewel cases for transport in the car, rotating discs from the folder to the jewel cases. I have yet to damage a CD-R, but at these cheap prices I am not really worried.

I do not worry about disc or jewel case labels. I just use a Sharpie permanent marker to label the discs.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I dunno if i just mishandle my CDs (I think i dont), the last batch of Memorex 80min CDrs have been crapping out on me... I've had like 5 or 6 of them start peeling, making my Data unreadable :angry:
I use a smaller lesserknown brand right now, they work great, they have a protective top layer, so no peeling, and cheap price too
But for $15, thats apretty godo price at B&Ms...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks