What's new

CD-R concern. (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've started using my computer to create CDs from analog sources. Read about my clever technique here.
Last night I made a CD of my Marshall Crenshaw LP of his now rare 1985 album "Downtown". The CD sounds fantastic. I made a label for the disc using my Memorex CD label maker software and labels, but now I'm having second thoughts.
I intend to have this as my primary listening medium for this album for the indefinite future. I'm concerned at how the sticker label will look in 10 years. Will it be all yellowed, with the glue dried up and falling off?
I think I'm going to stick to a Sharpie from now on for my labelling for permanent CDs. It won't look as pretty but I think in the long run I'll be happy that I did it. Any thoughts?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
A Sharpie is just a brand of permanent marker. They're available in different colors and different point sizes (fine, very fine, etc.)

Quite useful for writing on CD-Rs and whatnot.

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
If you're talking about using a "Sharpie" right on a CD, like the TDK ones (All White) -I looked at some of my "Playstation" (backup) CDs I made in 1998 and the red ink has started to soak in and get blurry around the edges (They're always kept out of sunlight and heat) not bad, but the words are a little fuzzy.

If you're talking about using a a Sharpie on a label (which is on the CD)...then I don't know.

I have some floppies that had great stickers on them from waaay back (1994/1995) and yes, the stickiness has worn out, the edges are curling and the ink pen I used is fading fast.

Don't know if I helped you, but I did want to share. Maybe someone else has more Exp. in this.....Vince M. or ???

~Rob

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I swear by Sharpies. If the ink fades, you can always write again on top of it. The labels will most definitely fade over time and the adhesive will break down.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I was looking at the Memorex Labeling system. How would rate the label maker and the software. Also looking at Cd Stomper. Any feedback would be great.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Memorex system is pretty good, that's what I used to use before I decided to go with Sharpies, but make sure you download version 5.0 of their software from the web site. Older versions are very buggy.

Roy C.

Second Unit
I also agree. Sharpies is the only way to go!! I've had a couple of different label systems on both InkJet and Laser pritners, and the biggest problem is that the labels always tend to peel. I've even tried cleaning the CD surface (label side up) with alcohol but still not a big difference. They also tend to shift the balance of the CD more often than ink ever will!!! ... if you're not very careful, that is.

Anyway, my thoughts only.

Roy C.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
They make special inkjet printers that print directly on white/silver printable CDs. You could so far as scan the album cover and print it on the CD. (Of course the cover is square, not round, and there is that hole in the middle.)

I have no idea how well the ink holds up, though. But it certainly won't peel.

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks