What's new

CD-R Compatibility Question: (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
First off, I have an E-IDE CD-ROM 52XAKH & LG CD-RW CED-8120B drive and am working with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum w/ Windows XP.

I would like to know first, where I might be able to find some good quality 90 Min 800MB CD-R's, and whether or not they would be compatible with my current set-up because I've read online that many burners can not support 90 Min CD-R's or anything over 700MB size.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true and can someone please explain why that is?

I'm not too computer saavy if it isn't blatantly apparent already and so I'm not up on any technicalities but I would really like to be able to burn some CD's with extended runtime if possible and would really like to know more about these 90 Min CD-R's and if it might be a possibility w/ my system.

I'm assuming I'd have to order these discs online and so if I'm going to be spending any money and having anything shipped, I'd like to verify that it can first be used with my setup and will not display write messages and errors, etc.

I'd really appreciate some insight.

Thanks a lot!!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I just read something about overburning with Nero, can anyone explain what this is all about?

Up until 15 minutes ago, I wasn't even aware that 90 min CD-R's existed...

I desperately need to fit 760.6MB / 86.33 Min of audio onto a CD-R and am stuck, is there anyway around this?

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I'm not a real expert on this stuff myself, but it depends on what this "90-min" CD-r is going to be played back on. It also depends on if your burner can over-burn at all.

Basically, it comes down to this: a stand-alone player will not be able to play that 90-min CD-r, the spiral will be too tight for the laser to track. 80-min CD-r's already push that spiral to most player's "operational limits" of tracking and are technically just out of "redbook" spec.

But 90-min? No way.

I think you're stuck and will just have to split it up to two CD-R's.

Check out the CD-Recordable FAQ site. This particular page talks about 90 and 99 min blanks.

Joel

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot Joel.

I was hoping to play it back on my car stereo. The weather's getting nicer outside so I strung together a little spring time compilation. I only burn mixes for my car but I'm always stuck with the same problem of runtime, even when backing up certain cd's. I don't want to cut it any shorter cause it'll ruin the whole progression of my brilliantly selected tracklist!

Is there any chance at all that might car stereo (standard 2003 Jetta GLS system) might be able to play back a 90 min disc? I downloaded Nero last night and set it up for overburn based on people's instructions I've read online.

Also, do you have any idea where one might find a 90 Min. 800MB CD-R other than the internet? If I were to make the rounds locally, any suggetions as to where I might look and are these super obscure discs or generally pretty common stock?

Thanks again!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered finding an after-market car CD player that fits in your car, and will play MP3s? I'm gotten so spoiled by being able to plop 6-10 albums in MP3 format on one CD-RW to be played in my MP3-capable CD deck in the car.

The odds of your existing car CD player being able to even read a CD with 800MB burned on it are not in your favor, either.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Patrick.

I actually should check because it's possible that my car can playback CD-RW's, I've never though of that but I remember reading soemthing in the manual when I first leased it last summer...

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks