CD players...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Andrew Pratt, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm looking to add a dedicated CD player to my gear rack to add some warmth to the music. My Denon 1600 actually sounds pretty good when using its analog outs via its Burr Brown onboard DAC's and my CD jukebox sounds alright optically connected to my Rotel 1098 but both aren't as warm as I'd like.

So given that moneys tight I've been looking on the used market to see what's around and I've come up with this short list.

Rotel RCD 971 - $300US
    Rotel RCD 975 - $300US
    Rotel RCD 991 - $525US

Music Hall CD-25 $450US (in silver which I'm not fond of)

Rega Planet $435

Nad 541i $375

Cambrige 500SE $300US (in silver which I'm not fond of)

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Philips 963 player ($350ish) offers CD upsampling and SACD playback. It is, however, in silver.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you want warmer, and these don't do it for you, also look into tube players. The aha for instance.

4. Ramesh J

Ramesh J Auditioning

I was looking for a "warm"-ish CD player to pair with my PSB speakers, and the NAD 541i fit the bill. It's been replaced by the 542, so you might be able to get a good deal on the 541i (I got mine for $50 off).

For what it's worth, I didn't find any of the Rotel players to be warm at all...not bad, just not a good match to my PSBs. I think this is in keeping with the general sonic signature of Rotel equipment.

rj

5. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up a NAD 541i a month ago. Verygood player for the price. I have a lot of hdcds. This made picking up this player a lot easier.

6. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

The Rega is the warmest of your list. Another warm CDP is the Jolida JD-100. It's a tubed unit that you might be able to find used.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Well I almost bought a Cary 308 but have just got off the phone with underwood hifi who were clearing out a used MF A3.24 DAC so I have that coming to me instead:T Its not going to be as warm as the Cary or Rega's but it should be a great match for my system and will allow me to get better sound from my Sony jukebox which in all honesty gets more use then the single CD player anyway. I can always add a dedicated transport later to use the coax input if i don't like the jukebox as a transport gut given that the MF reclocks the DAC anyway the transport might not matter as much in this case as with some other DAC's and it didn't get a Sterophile Class A rating for nothing.

8. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I haven't heard the A3.24 but it's supposed to be a very good DAC. I doubt you will be unhappy with it.

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I think Chris is referring to the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 player (pronounced "Ah! New Tube", I think), and that should definitely be among your considerations for a "warm sounding" CD player. It's also priced reasonably, and you can upgrade to 24/192 upsampling.

Here's a review from November's Stereophile: http://www.stereophile.com/digitalso...ews/1103tjoeb/