CD Players, Whats Better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Weight, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Jeff Weight

Jeff Weight Stunt Coordinator

My 4 year old Marantz CD 63se in starting to show signs of wear. It keeps having read errors, that cause it to stop playing. It has had this on several disks now. This normally occurs on track 1 of any given disk.

Anyway, I've been looking for a new player as I'm not thrilled with the sound from my Toshiba dvd 3109 even when utilizing my Integra 7.1 dacs.

I was wondering what is better, either the Denon DCM-370 with burr brown dacs and hdcd, or the Sony SCD-CE775 with SACD capability? How is the sony as a standard cd player? I realize I'd have to invest in SACD to take full advantage of this format. Is it to early in the game to be considering a budget SACD player?

Thanks

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Jeff: First, I'd try a cleaning disc for your 63se. It may extend its' life long enough for you to actually try out the two players you mentioned. In the meantime, I really liked the sound of the Denon 370 while I owned mine but have not had the opportunity to try out the sony non-es SACD player. Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

3. Jeff Weight

Jeff Weight Stunt Coordinator

Thanks John, I've tried two different cleaning disks on the Marantz. The player is very fussy now and works most of the time, but then has its days.

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Okay Jeff: Well then in that case, I'd say that the Denon sounds better for regular CDs but the Sony can play SACD discs... and that is just a guess and could be totally wrong.. Still, are you planning on buying some SACD discs?

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor