What's new

CD Player with Variable Output (1 Viewer)

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Howdy,

I'm looking for a good CD player for a second, 2-channel system. I have an extra amp and speakers, but no preamp. Consequently, I would like to find a CD player with a good reputation (eg.- good DACs) and variable volume control so it can act as its own preamp.

In re: to price, I think I need to stay under $300 if at all possible.

Any suggestions?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, I'd look in the used market. You might be able to find a good player that was pricey as new down in your price range. I'm not sure any current players in your price range have volume control. Also, I've read on Audio Asylum that cheaper players with volume control don't work very well with power amps. Apparently, the volume control just isn't implemented well on cheaper players. I once had an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 ($579 through www.upscaleaudio.com) with volume control, and the volume control function was not rated highly by some on Audio Asylum. I never tried it myself.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
A coupla suggestions via Keiths suggestion:
Adcom GCD-700 this is a very highly rated used 5-disc changer which can be had for under $300. There were some minor build issues I have seen but playback is supposed to be superior. You can find them on ebay or audiogon.
Sherwood Newcastle CD-980 w/dual 20 bit burr-brown D/A's. You can get this one for well under $200 .Both have variable output.
These are just two I came across while researching used players in my price range which had extremely good consumer reviews.

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Belated thanks for the input! For the time being I'm going to try to run my two-channel system as 'zone 2' from my main system, but I'm going to look into purchasing one of these suggestions.

Thanks!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, if you do try a player directly with the power amp, let us know how it works out.

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Yes, I definitely will. In theory, a good CD player with good DACs sending a signal directly to an amp should be a nearly ideal setup, but in checking this option out it has occured to me how seemingly rare this setup is. Maybe I'm missing something, but other than volume control and DACs, what other purpose does a two-channel preamp serve?

Marc H

Second Unit
I'd second the rec for a used Adcom GCD700. Sounds decent and has the volume control. Wish they still made them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks