CD Player with MP3 Playback?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Tressler, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,

I have searched high and low for a cd player with mp3 playback as well.. the only one I can find is a 5 disc RCA model. I have looked at Denon, Onkyo, JVC, Panasonic, Sony, Yamaha... to no avail.. Any one know of any other company that makes such a device?

thanks!

Jim

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jim, MP3 playback capability is not a common feature with CD players. A number of DVD players can play MP3-encoded CDs, however. Although not a simple CD player, the Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray CD recorder can also play MP3-encoded CDs. Finally, a fair number of portable CD players play MP3-encoded CDs, though I wouldn't expect them to work well in home audio systems.

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Jim, I'm in the same boat as you. The only stand-alone player I can find is the RCA carousel changer. I may go ahead and pick one up this week to see how it is.

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I came across this post and have been wondering the same thing. I was interested in getting a 5 disc changer since I've been using my dvd player to play music cds but it's only a single disc Toshiba model. So, I started looking at budget 5 disc cd players that also had mp3 capability. And the only one I could find was the RCA model referenced in this thread.

Did anyone end up buying the RCA 5 disc changer? Is it any good? I've almost concluded that it is worth the extra $50-$100 to buy a 5 disc dvd changer/player since it will also come with cd/mp3/cd-r/cd-rw play capability. Has anyone done this? i.e. bought a dvd player and used it just for music cds.

cheers,

--tom

5. Yiannis

Yiannis Auditioning

The RCA changer had a negative review in this forum. Check
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=40947
    It can't play 320 mp3s.
    The only machine that plays mp3s somewhat satisfactory is the Hyundai 380/Daewoo 5700 (TYT DVD player).
    It is somewhat suspicious to say the least that noone sells a decent mp3 deck. It is only a good portable mp3 player in a larger container plus a digital output with a remote. There are dozens portable and car mp3 players. Go figure.

6. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

I use a RioVolt SP90 that I got for $70. Yes it's portable. But it seems to work just as well as a deck.

If you simply can't bring yourself to use one of these, try a DVD player, such as the JVC S65, or whatever is taking its place these days.

These days, I consider lack of MP3 capability to be a serious drawback in a CD player.

7. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

This is a market segmentation issue.

The market for anything-less-than-high-end CD playing is going towards DVD players. And, there's the assumption that the high-end CD market doesn't care about MP3s. Also, manufacturers of high-end CD players (e.g., McIntosh) would probably consider including MP3 as cheapening their brand.

On the other hand, MP3 in PORTABLE CD players is extremely common.