What's new

CD Player with disc memory?? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
What I'd really like is a decent CD player that performs well as a transport (digital out), is robust enough for heavy use, and recognizes discs and remembers track orders that have been previously programmed.

Do all the players do this nowadays, or do none? I really don't know anything about CD players anymore. I've used my DVD player for CDs for a while now, and the LD player before that.

To further explain what I'm after, consider the AOTC soundtrack. I have the bonus track, but it is at the end of the disc, after the final credit music, which is stupid. I'd like the ability to program the order of the tracks so that the bonus track plays in its proper place within the score. And I'd like to player to play this way every time I put that particular disc in.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, some Sony players have what is called a "Disc Memo" feature, which allows you to type in the name of the disc. The disc name is stored in the player's memory and is tied to the disc's TOC. That way, the name comes up every time you load the disc, meaning that the name is not lost when the disc is removed.

These players also often have Sony's "Delete Bank" feature, which allows you to remove songs from the playlist for a disc. So, if you don't like track four, for example, you can delete that track for the playlist. That information is also stored in the player's memory, so that you don't have to delete the same track(s) every time you load the disc. Unfortunately, I don't think these players will allow you to store a program. The Sony CDP-CA80ES carousel changer I once owned had the Disc Memo and Delete Bank features, but it is no longer in production. It is possible that some current Sony players have this feature.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
as keith already mentioned, several players (at least used to) do this.

i had an older sony es 5-disc changer that had this feature - i think it was called "custom file" but not sure now. the only caveat is that it had a limited amount of memory - i think about 200 discs. but it was a totally cool and useful feature.

i believe some of the denon models i used to sell also had this feature, but i don't know about being able to label the cd though.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Wouldn't it be simpler to just make a copy of the CD with the tracks in whatever order you wish? It might be alittle time consuming if you have alot of CD's to duplicate, but you can take the opportunity to add CDText to the disks at the same time. Alot of people with megachangers do this just to add the CDText information, which is worthy in it's own right when you want to flip through 400 disks.

-- Dave

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ted,

I forgot about Sony's Custom File feature. Frankly, I don't remember if the Sony CDP-CA80ES changer that I once owned had this feature. If it didn't, then the 'CA9ES, which was one model above the 'CA80ES, did. Maybe both had it. It's not a feature I would bother with.

David,

I thought about mentioning the simply copying to a CD-R, but I figured Jeff wasn't interested in doing that. It's still a good suggestion.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Wouldn't it be simpler to just make a copy of the CD with the tracks in whatever order you wish?
Yeah, this might be the best solution. I just thought this feature might be available. I'll keep my eyes open. I appreciate the responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks