What's new

CD Player w/Remote Control (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Howard, nowadays, just about any CD player comes with a remote control. The only exceptions that immediately come to mind are the Sony CDP-XE270 single-disc player for $120 and the Sony CDP-CE275 carousel changer for $100.

For $250-300, take a look at the Denon DCM-370 carousel changer. I have one, and it sounds quite good for the money. Build quality could be better though. Also, the Sony SCD-CE775 carousel changer, which also plays stereo and multi-channel SACDs, dropped from $350 to $250 at OneCall and Crutchfield recently. The 'CE775 is a bargain given the ability to play SACDs. Also look at the Sony CDP-CA70ES and Marantz CC4000 carousel CD changers and the NAD C 521 and Cambridge Audio D300SE single-disc CD players.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Keith,

I too enjoy the Denon DCM-370. I can live with the fact that it doesnt have a remote On-Off function. Anyway, I found a tweak that I did, involving opening the cabinet and removing the headphone connection. I can say that it didn't hurt the playback.

Scroll in the AR reveiews section to find the suggested tweak.

One cuts the small plastic loom holder and gently lifts out the HP terminal plug with needle-nosers. Works only if you dont use HPs of course.

bill

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bill, I have heard of people disabling headphone jacks on CD players to improve the sound quality. Did you find that the sound quality improved? You said that diabling the headphone jack didn't hurt the sound. Did it help it? I'm not sure how disabling a headphone jack would improve the sound quality, but I have not peeked inside my players to see what is going on there. The Denon changer is a secondary player for me, so I am not going to poke around in there. I basically use the Denon just to record CDs to minidiscs.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
keith, maybe this discussion is moot for you then.

I know you have a lot of black boxes, tho! My Denon is it for me -- I got it for the HDCD chip feature and I use its DACs to analog to my pre/pro. Read the review I cited for fun.

When I said it didn't hurt, I meant to sidestep any "wire wars" about subjective, minimal sound improvement. The terminal removal can always be reversed inside the unit.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bill, thanks for providing clarification. Yes, I have a lot of black boxes. Too many, in fact. I wish more manufacturers would release silver or gold boxes in the US. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks