CD Player vs DVD Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JoeyR, Feb 20, 2005.

1. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Ok my wife just let me drop 500 on a SVS sub, she likes listening to music, I have a JVC FA900BK 5 or 7 disc(cant remember) dvd player I bought Christmas before last.

This is my question should I buy her a cd player to listen to her music?Is it helpful to have a cd player and dvd player? Also interested in getting a JVC or Pioneer cd player if I do get one, any advice would be appreciated, the cd player will be hooked to a Pioneer 1014 receiver.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

*If you connect to the receiver digitally, no CD player will sound any better than what you have now.

3. Don*A

Don*A Agent

If all you are looking at is CD players in that range just use your DVD player if you want to really improve your audio a dedicated CD player can blow that DVD player away but you are going to need to raise the budget.
    there is more that matters even if you hook up digital, the transport, power supply will make a differance even if you are just using it as a transport. If you move in to a higher end CD player you will want to use the DACs in the CD player and run analog.

4. Howard_You

Howard_You Stunt Coordinator

JoeyR,

If you want another changer I'd recommend the Yamaha DVD-C750. The MSRP is around US$300 but you can get one for US$240.

Audioholics gave it a very favourable review for CD audio quality (as well as DVD-A and SACD):
    C750 Review

I've had one for over two months now and am quite impressed with it. It has a few quirks though, like a particularly slow disk change time --- but it's pretty good for the price.

If you're looking for just CD playback, I'd check out the NAD C521BEEE for US$300 or the Cambridge Audio 540c for around US$350.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

A different take:

If you're using the analog connections, I would prefer a seperate CD player. Almost every piece of video gear will bleed noise into its analog outputs, even when the video sections aren't 'in use.'

There's something very distincive about a 15,575Hz whistle, and once you start looking for it, you also catching the 29.97Hz and 59.94Hz buzzes, too.

If you're using a digital connection, there shouldn't be any issues; then it's a matter of features. Me, I like a device that has all the buttons on the front panel, and doesn't requre an outboard TV set to tell whats going on.

Leo Kerr