CD player using digital out: player quality irrelevant?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisAG, Oct 4, 2002.

1. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

For two-channel audio, I understand that if you are using the analogue output, the quality of the CD player's internals matters a great deal. However, if the receiver is doing the digital audio conversion, does the quality of the player matter?

2. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

hmm, not real sure but i believe that the cd player then just extracts the data into a digital signal and lets the receiver do all of the processing, so i would say no.
    which if you are doing sacd or dvd-a though a dvd player, you must hook up the analog sources to process the sound at the dvd player.

3. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

This topic has been discussed many many times in the past, and generally, the quality of the transport (the cd/dvd player that you use to output the digital signal) does make a difference. Better build, the use of copper shielding, the design of the ciruitry, the type of transport etc can make a difference to sound. Jitter (the lower the level the better) and other parameters are at play here.

Cheers,
    Mike

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, Mike summed up the situation with transports very well. A common misconception is that all players sound the same when used as transports. Now, the differences between transports may not come through on lower-end or mid-fi systems, but even if your system falls into one of those categories, you should try out different transports.

5. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Chris,
    For two channel enjoyment you should consider this little black box. It acts as a "DAC cleaner". The results are outstanding:
    ADE-24