CD player transport noise

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Silverman, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Hi gang,

I have a relatively old Panasonic boom box which I use as a CD player fed into a receiver. There is no problem with skipping or reading discs. However. . .

With certain discs, there is a "shp shp shp shp shp" sound produced by the transport (it's a physical sound coming from the spinning disc itself, not coming from the speakers). It sounds like the disc is gently rubbing against something once each revolution or so. Again, this is only for certain discs. It seems to happen more often with thinner discs.

Has anyone else experienced that? (I used to have another player, a Sony, that had a similar problem.) Is there anything that can be done? It's really annoying because the room is small and I can't turn up the volume enough to drown it out (damn neighbors!), plus I'm concerned that it may be damaging my CDs.

Thanks!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have noticed this and it seems to be an issue with certain disks. Right now, I have assumed that it was a defect in the manufacture of the disk, causing it to be lob-sided (only slightly) or possibly warped so that when it spins, it does in fact hit on one "corner" of the disk or cause a loud whirring sound as it spins, simply because the centre of gravity of the disk is off centre very slightly and not enough to cause data errors.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    That makes sense. I don't notice any visible scratches or anything though--I'd think it might cause that.

It's just so damn annoying!!!