CD player stacked on pwr amp a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Gere, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

I've run out of room in my audio cabinet and am presently forced to stack my CD player (Cambridge Audio 500) on my subwoofer amp (Samson S-1000) which is shelved 5" above my main amp (Parasound HCA-2205A). Other than for obvious heat dispursion issues, are there other electronic or sonically negative implications to doing this?

It would be far less asthetically pleasing, but I could put the CD player on top of the cabinet, away from other electronics if I had to.

Thanks,
    -Paul

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, I'd move the CD player out of the cabinet. Your amp likely generates a fair amount of heat, and you need to allow the heat to dissipate. The situation you have now could be bad for both your amp and CD player.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree, putting the CD on top will eventually be bad for BOTH amp and the CD, since the CD will now receive all the heat from the amp fairly directly, there will be little or no dispersion. Even with isolation feet, I would still not recommend this.

In the WORST case, put the amp on top of the CD player, or move the Samson or CD out.

5. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

OK guys, point made!
    I've moved the CD player on top of the cabinet alongside the AVM-20 (double rack). Looks cluttered, but it's the right thing to do for equipment/performance.
    Guess it's time to start getting serious about a new rack (Salamander Synergy Twin40).
    Thanks all for the push! [​IMG]
    -PG

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I am very pleased with my Salamander [​IMG]

7. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Paul,

This may not be an issue with the S1000, at least from a heat perspective. My S1000 runs fairly cool. I keep it on all the time, and the fans in the rear do a good job of keeping the top of the unit cool to the touch. Not sure I've felt the unit after a good 2 hour workout, though. I do keep an equalizer on top of it, but the equalizer is only half as deep as the S1000, so the rear-dissipated heat is not an issue.

OTOH, I don't know if there would be a vibration issue.

Doug