CD Player Skipping Problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris_CK, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Chris_CK

Chris_CK Auditioning

Mar 24, 2004

I have a problem with a Sony 10CD Changer. This is most likely a general problem, so that's what I'm looking for - general answers and tips.

The player recently started to skip on the first 3 songs on a CD. This happens on every CD that I put in. Other tracks play just fine. Again, only the first 3 tracks skip (at random places), with the 1st one skipping the most and the 3rd one skipping the least.

From time to time, it WILL play correctly, but that happens maybe 1 in 20 or 30 tries.

I tried cleaning the lens with a special CD, but that didn't work and I don't really trust those things anyway.

Has anyone have that happen to them? Is this simply a dirty lens that I need to (truly) clean with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip or does this sound like a misaligned lens or some other serious problem?

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    it definitely sounds like some issue when the beam assembly is close to the center of the cd. (remember that cd's read from inner-edge outward.)

i don't think it's a dirty lens, because then the skipping should happen throughout the cd instead of just at the beginning...