1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

CD Player recommendation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryW, Sep 29, 2001.

1. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Ok, I've been looking at different CD changers for under $400. My favorite so far has been the Marantz 4000OSE (that's on sale at Accessories4less for $248). I checked out the Denon DCM 460 but I really wasn't impressed. The tray mechanism was fairly noisey and it didn't seem to be built as well as the Marantz (and to my ears didn't sound as good). Another option is a Pioneer Elite PD-F19 dealer demo that I've borrowed which I can buy for $395... it seems to be pretty nice, but I think the Marantz may sound a little better with certain material (particularly string passages) and I'm not sure I really need a mega-changer (I'm not THAT lazy [​IMG]). Anyway, are there any others that I should consider in this range?
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Jerry:
    I don't know about any others, but I've owned the Marantz CC-67 (the predecessor to the 4000) for nearly two years and I couldn't be more pleased. It's an excellent changer; quiet operation, quick changes on random. I'd highly recommend Marantz in the CD changer category. I know Denon and Yamaha make excellent changers as well. Good luck.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry, I've seen Accessories4less selling the Marantz CC4000OSE on eBay, and while the price looks great, note that they are selling factory-refurbished players. Who knows what that really means? For that reason, I would avoid such a purchase. However, all hope is not lost. Www.federalstereo.com is selling the CC4000OSE brand new in a sealed box for $296.95. Here is a link:
    http://www.federalstereo.com/marcc4000oss.html
    I have never bought from them, but they look to be good. You might want to call them. In addition, www.reliableaudiovideo.com has the CC4000OSE brand new in a sealed box for $295.95. Here is a link:
    http://www.reliableaudiovideo.com/marccosemarc.html
    I've never bought from them either. Interestingly, the two dealers' web sites look similar, so I wonder if they are affiliated. They don't have the exact same merchandise, but their web sites are similar.
    I am intrigued by the CC4000OSE. At present, I have the Sony CDP-CA80ES (two actually, as I have two systems) and the Denon DCM-370. The Denon and one 'CA80ES are in my main system. Both are good, especially the Denon, which was only $250 brand new. However, both are lacking relative to single-disc players I own, which were more expensive than the carousels. Of course, more costly single-disc players should be much better than these sub-$500 carousel changers. When I switch a disc from, say, the 'CA80ES to one of the single-disc models, it's as though I am using a different CD. The difference in sound quality is incredible. It's to the point where I don't use the carousels much, the exception being when I just want the convenience of the carousel for background music.
    To everyone out there, I'm looking for suggestions too:
    I've been wondering if there is a better carousel changer out there that I could add to my main system for a reasonably low price. Although I have good single-disc players in the main system, I like the convenience of a carousel, but I want better sound than what I have now. I have a Sony SCD-C333ES SACD/CD changer in my second system, which is a very good CD player. However, at $500-600, it's more than I want to spend to replace the 'CA80ES and/or the '370 in the main system, and I already have SACD in there (SCD-777ES).
    The Adcom GCD-700 is supposed to be a nice a changer, but at $500-700, it's more than I want to spend. Besides, the changer mechanism on the Adcom is clunky considering the price. In my mind, the Adcom is out.
    The Marantz CC4000OSE is appealing at $300-400. However, I really wonder if I can get a better changer than the Sony ES and Denon units I already have for such a low price. I figure the Marantz will be similar in performance. I discussed the idea of replacing my Sony and/or Denon players with the CC4000OSE with two local dealers. One dealer in my area that sells Marantz, but does not sell Sony or Denon, said the CC4000OSE is the best changer in that price range. Big surprise. A salesman at another local dealer that sells Marantz and Sony and has both the CC4000OSE and 'CA80ES on the floor said the Sony is the better of the two. He may have just said that because the Sony is a little more expensive. This dealer had the Marantz and Sony units in different rooms, and when I asked if he could set them up side-by-side so I could compare them, he refused. That irked me. He said that if I left a credit card number, I could take the CC4000OSE demo unit home for the evening to test out. Then, if I liked it, he said he would sell me a new one for $325. That's not a bad offer, but I was put off by the fact that he wouldn't set the two players up for a comparison in the store, so I left.
    Has anyone compared the Sony CDP-CA80ES, Denon DCM-370, and Marantz CC4000OSE? I find the 'CA80ES and '370 to be similar soundwise. Is the CC4000OSE better? One thing I definitely like about the Marantz changers (including the CC3000 and CC4000) is that the changer mechanism is excellent. It is very fast. However, the sound of the CC4000OSE is what I am interested in.
    The only other option to my mind, and possibly the best one, is the Sony SCD-C222ES multi-channel SACD changer for $575 from Oade Bros. I've been holding off on multi-channel SACD until more titles are available. However, all of Sony's SACD players are excellent with CDs for the price, and the initial reviews I've read on the 'C222ES on Audio Asylum have been positive. I could kill two birds with one stone with the 'C222ES (quality CD changer and multi-channel SACD), but I would like to see more multi-channel SACD titles before jumping in. The Marantz changer is about half the price of the 'C222ES.
    Thoughts?
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on October 01, 2001 at 08:17 AM]

4. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Thanks for the input guys. I tried the Yamaha and Denon units and wasn't really satisfied there was always at least a couple things that I didn't like about them.
    I talked to A4Less and the Marantz 4000OSE they have IS refurbished but is refurbished by Marantz (not some unaffiliated repair shack) to full specs as if it were new, and it carries a one year warranty from Marantz. I've listened to the 4000OSE and it sounded phenominal for a changer... very quiet transport, exceptional tray, sweet DACs, and it's quite attractive. To be honest, I'm mostly going to be using it for "background" listening. For critical listening I still use my Pioneer CLD-99, which is nothing short of awesome when it comes to playback, but I don't want to wear it out as it's also my primary LDP.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry, thanks for the input on the Marantz changer. I still think that for another $50, you ought to consider getting the CC4000OSE from reliableaudiovideo.com or federalstereo.com since they are selling brand new players in sealed boxes.
    ------------------
    My:

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i have a CC-4000 (*not OSE) and (almost) couldn't be more pleased. the only reason i'm sending it back for a refund is b/c i want: dvd-video, dvd-audio, and SACD in my changer. they sound is very nice and, yes, i also am pleased with the build quality. as Keith said, the tray is VERY well built; smooth, very fast, and quiet. i say go with the 4000OSE. and unless the extra $50 is alot in comparison to what you want to spend, go for a new unit over a refurb. but definately go Marantz...i am VERY impressed with this changer.
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.

7. Ka Yuen

Ka Yuen Agent

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thomas,
    I remember you saying that you were pleased with the CC4000. The CC4000OSE should be better, but I wonder if it is any better than the changers I have.
    Ka,
    World-exchange.com is well known for selling what they call "Certified Mint" merchandise. They define this term on their web site. In essence, they are selling dealer display merchandise or other open-box items in most instances. The link you gave doesn't say the condition of the CC4000OSE, but I would bet it is "Certified Mint". For $40 more, I'd get a brand new player in a sealed box from one the links I posted in my first reply here.
    ------------------
    My:

9. Louis M

Louis M Auditioning

I have used the pioneer Elite 300cd changer for over 2 years now and the tracking and changer operations have been flawless. Hard to find a better changer for the money.
    HT Pictures

10. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Keith- it's my understanding that the only differences in the OSE and the '4000 are "cosmetics." i mean a better, more sturdy case, thicker walls, the like. i dont know if there's any difference in circuitry. i'd be interested to hear differently though. hopefully Jerry can tell us soon!
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.