What's new

CD player question :CD-R's (1 Viewer)

Zack_b

Grip
i have been shoping around for a new CD player but most of them i lke (exp. denon 370) doesnt play CD-R's. any idea why? this is true correct? i would really like on that will play these. thanks guys.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i dont think this is true. first off, it depends on the brand. most CD players made since '95 will play a brand of CDR's but may not play another brand. my old Sony from '94 plays anything i throw at it. i think you'll find that almost all new CD players will play at least one brand (if not all) of CDR's.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Thomas. CD-R compatibility should not be a problem with most modern CD players.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The only two brands of CD-Rs which I have had continuing trouble playing in the past are Maxell and Imation.

All my CD-players will play just about any CD-R except the two listed above. My PC even has trouble with those two brands. Anymore, when I burn to CD-R, I will only use Sony or Fuji discs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I will add that I have used Memorex 80-minute consumer CD-Rs, TDK 74-minute consumer and computer CD-Rs, and Maxell 80-minute computer CD-Rs and have no problems whatsoever playing them on my component CD players, computer CD burner drive, or the CD players (head unit and changer) in my car.

Brian P

Grip
I have a sony and have tried at least 4-5 different cd-r's and none would work in my player.The only thing I could get mine to read was cd-rw's. The color of the disc seems to be one deciding factor. Supposidly my player will only play silver disks.

GL B.P.

Zack_b

Grip
hmmm thanks for all the posts guys. the reason i ask this is when you go to a lot of websites (i.e crutchfield) in the specs dept. it will tell about it and where it says CDR, CDRW it says "no". maybe this means it wont burn them, not play them. of course to us this is common sense, but maybe it says that cause not everyone is a sharp. this is the only thing i can think of that it could mean. CDRs play fine in my sony car cd, dvd player, and my two bookshelf stereos, so i dunno??? anyways, thanks guys!

zack

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
I've only used TDK and Maxell (just a few Maxells) and have never had a problem --- my player even plays non-finalized discs

Dale_Clarke

Auditioning
your concern in real... i've heard of many people have problems with that player. check out the klipsch bulletin board for more details, many members there own this drive. The whole cd/cdrw thing is another issue. CDR's burn the dye on the disc causing the pits, whereas the CDRW's use some sort of crystal (i read that somewhere... could be wrong) therefore to read the CDRW's it takes a modified drive. hence some drives will read CDR's and not CDRW's. If you want that compatibility, check out the denon DVM-4800 it is a 5 disc carousel DVD player that will read your CD's, HDCD's, CDR's, CDRW's, DVD-A, and DVD's. It will also decode MP3's. It uses better sound hardware on the front two channels too. only drawback is the price. hope that helps some.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks