What's new

CD player or Laptop for front projector (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I have been tasked to set up a movie night at my community center. It will be geared toward children. There is a front projector that I can use, but it doesn't have any speakers. My choice is bringing my entire HT system there, or just bringing my receiver and speakers there. Usually, they run the front projector with a Laptop. Is there any problem with me using my DVD player instead? I hope there is a manual. The projector is new, but there is a tendency over there to be lax with things like manuals. The good news is that I get to bring it home and play with it for awhile.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I was thinking of that, but it is a BIG room. It can seat about 500, but most likely there will be about 50 people. Not a bad idea.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Not at all, unless the projector does't have standard connections for a DVD player. It should though. What might be an even better solution would be to get a portable DVD player. They are getting cheap enough to be a viable option.

KirkP

Agent
What projector is it? I'm sure it will have standard video inputs (at least composite). It shouldn't be a problem to use your DVD player, i'd try to connect via S-video (round, 4-pin connector) cable which will provide a better picture than composite (single RCA plug). The protable DVD option really makes a lot of sense and then might be able to find some inexpensive amplified speakers & sub to eliminate the need for hauling in the receiver. Are you projecting on to a wall or screen?

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Kirk, good question. That was the first think I asked whe I "volunterred" for this task. The answer was a blank stare. I will find out when I pick it up. Getting a detail like that is nearly impossible. Not many tech savvy people involved with the operation. I know that it is a new player (less than 6 months old), so connectivity won't be an issue.

As for the projection surface, it depends. There is a 4:3 screen available, but it is pretty small. I may just project on the wall. The event will be at night and the room will be nearly dark, so ambient light shouldn't be much of an issue. This is for a bunch of kids, so size is probably the right way to go as long as the pic can be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks