CD Player not playing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roger Kaufmann, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony CDP-C910 CD player that quit playing last night. This unit uses cartridges to put the CD's in, 10 CD's to a cartridge. Each cartridge loads OK however when I try to play a CD the system doesn't try to play it and then reloads another CD, this cycles through until all 10 have tried. Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it? The unit was built in 1991 however it doesn't have that many hours on it, maybe 200 total.

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

sounds like the laser pickup may have failed. It isnt returning any data, thus fooling the player into thinking there is no disc in the slot.
    at 10 years old, I doubt you are still in the warranty period! Probably time to start looking for a new CD player.
    Jeff Peake

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Make sure it does it with every cartridge, and since the warranty is over you could pop it open and dust it. Probably not more than 10 screws.
    Glenn

4. Roger Kaufmann

I've determined the problem isn't the cassettes, I have 21 of them and they all are affected. So I took the skin off the CD player to see if I could see anything obvious, what is happening is the CD doesn't want to spin up. I gave a few CD's a touch with my finger to get them going and they started spinning and the player played normally. But obviously that isn't a solution, anyone have a ideas?
    ------------------
    R. Kaufmann
    My DVD Profiler Collection

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Roger, it seems that there is a problem with the spindle motor that spins CDs. Although you may not like this suggestion, I would just get a new CD player. Given that the player is ten years old and is not under warranty, you would be better off getting a new player rather than spending money to get your player fixed (assuming it can be fixed). If you get some ideas of what you might be looking for in a new player (features, price, etc.), then people here could make suggestions.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

6. Roger Kaufmann

Keith,
    Thanks I was kind of thinking this was the case, I've been wanting a juke box to handle my 200 plus CD collection so this is just as good a reason as any. Besides with all those cassettes I'm sure they will have some value to someone on E-Bay which should soften the purchase price somewhat.
    ------------------
    R. Kaufmann
    My DVD Profiler Collection

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Roger, best of luck as you look at new players. For good megachangers, take a look at Sony or Pioneer. In the budget category, take a look at the Sony CDP-CX400 and CDP-CX450 400-disc models and the Pioneer PD-F1039 301-disc unit. If you can spend more money, you can get better players from the Sony ES or Pioneer Elite lines. For example, check out the Sony CDP-M333ES and CDP-M555ES 400-disc players and the Pioneer Elite PD-F17 301-disc model. I am almost certain I have the model number right for the Pioneer Elite unit. For the record, I have two Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc megachangers daisy-chained (last year's model, discontinued) and have been extremely pleased with them.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime