What's new

CD player gets stuck - ever happen to anyone? (1 Viewer)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I have a Sony 5 disc CD recorder (RCD-W500C) and a few times the last couple of weeks it's gotten stuck while playing a CD on one of the ports on the playing (as opposed to recording) side. The time (on the display) stays the same and it keeps playing whatever's at that point. It's happened on at least a couple of discs.

I'm starting to keep track of this - which port, how much time is left on the disc when it gets stuck etc. - to see if there's a pattern before I call for service.

But I was wondering if something like this ever happened to anyone and/or anyone has an idea what the problem might be, how easy it would be to diagnose and fix, etc.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I have had this happen on my 2 year old Panasonic DVD player only twice and each time it froze it was due to disc damage. It occurred on two discs I rented from Netflix and each one had a dent in it. Other than that, my Panny has digested everything I have thrown at it, even severly scratched DVDs rented/bought from Blockbuster.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
open the player, clean the laser manually with a QTip and alcohol (isopropyl alcohol). I had a similar problem with my DVD player, so I popped it open and cleaned the laser manually and the problem is gone.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
If there is a scratch in the disc and the optical system is misaligned, this can happen too. Particularly with the 3-beam system, which is superior when it works, the parts can drift out of adjustment over time. This is a $50-150 repair typically, it's all labor cost because of the very delicate manipulations involved.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Thanks for the responses everyone. As I said, I'll be keeping track of the occurrences so I can see if it happens only for certain discs. The idea of a misaligned optical system seems to make sense but what do I know?

Users who are viewing this thread