CD Player for less than $200 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Irens Cruz, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Irens Cruz

Irens Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Hi All
    I need to buy a CD changer and my budget is around $200. I was looking into Sony, any suggestions or comments ?
    Thanks

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Irens, I tell people to try to extend their budget to $250-300 for a carousel changer because players in that price range are much better than those under $200. Of course, that is my opinion. Others may disagree. That said, Sony makes the CDP-CE275 ($100), CDP-CE375 ($130), and CDP-CE575 ($150). The 'CE575 is Sony's most expensive changer under $200. The 'CE275 lacks a remote, and the 'CE375 and 'CE575 are similar, except the 'CE575 has more features. Www.crutchfield.com has good information on these changers. I have seen these players in stores and have not been impressed with them. Build quality is not very good. Also, these changers offer lackluster sound if you are going to use the player's DAC. I once owned a Sony CDP-CE535, which is a two-year-old model, though similar to the current models. The sound and build quality was poor, so I sold it on eBay.
    If you can stretch your budget to $250-300, consider the Denon DCM-370 and the Sony CDP-CA70ES. I have the Denon changer, and it is very good for the money. In addition, I have some experience with the 'CA70ES. It too is a solid changer. If you have a Tweeter store in your area, they should have both of these changers. I think you will find them to be much better than the sub-$200 Sony changers. However, if you cannot go above $200, look at the Sony changers as well as models from Onkyo and Yamaha.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Irens Cruz

Keith
    Thanks for the suggestions. Don you know if these players (DCM370 and CA70ES) are capable to play CDR and CDRW ? The reason why I'm asking is that the only player that I found that is explicit CDR/CDRW capable was the CE575 from Sony. I know that people say that almost all players are capable, but my DVD player (Sony s360) for example does not play my CDRs.
    Thanks again

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
  5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Irens and Thomas,
    I've found that my Sony CDP-CA80ES carousel changer and Sony CDP-CX333ES megachangers play CD-Rs and CD-RWs. I figured the 'CA70ES would as well, so Thomas, I am surprised that you found the 'CA70ES doesn't player CD-RWs. They are different players, but it could also depend on the CD-RWs one uses. I use TDK and CompUSA CD-RWs.
    Thomas,
    Seems like you did a good job researching these changers. I hope the Marantz CC4000 works out for you. You got it for a good price.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Thomas you choose wisely young grasshopper [​IMG] did you pick up that AR cable as well?
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    KeithH- the info is from me shopping around in town and online. the sites/places i visited didnt say it played CD-RWs, so i assumed it didnt. sometimes you'll be surprised though! ex: i heard lots of people complaining about their old Sonys not playing CD-Rs, but my 10+year old'er plays them flawlessly. it also depends on the brand of the media! in my factory car system, i had to start using a different brand of CD-Rs to get them to play. you just never know...
    Andrew: first, yes i think i made the right choice. 3 yrs + the 1-year AMEX extended warranty will be great!
    about the cable: not yet. i will do that soon. just wanted to make sure that it's the right one. (i'm paranoid now...you'd know why if you read my thread about me being on my THIRD Onkyo 595...) i'll likely buy tonight.
    Final question for Andrew: i need another cable like that, but about 25' long. know where i can get hooked up? [​IMG] (no pun intended!)

8. Mike Wang

Mike Wang Auditioning

I just wanted to clear up some misinformation about the Denon DCM-370 player. It does have "play-exchange" in that you can open the tray and change other discs while a disc is playing. The play-exchange is a little limited in that you can only access two of the five slots during play. It also plays my cheapie no-name CD-Rs just fine. The tray mechanism isn't as smooth as the Sony changers, but that doesn't affect the sound at all. If you're patient and willing to take a chance, you can pick up refurbed units from ubid.com for well under $200. That was what I did and it worked out well for me, but with ubid the service is always a crap shoot.

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Mike: thanks for chiming in... I was hesitant since it seemed like my fellow Texan had already bought the other unit. I too have a Denon 370 and it easily plays and exchanges cdrs while playing. It also is one of the best sounding CD players I have ever owned when using its' internal DACs(analog outputs). I got mine brand new for less than $250 delivered. In the meantime, I have also bought and now sold 2 more 370s from Ubid and have received no complaints on those units. At under $160 bucks, with warranty, how can you go wrong...?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    [Edited last by John Morris on August 02, 2001 at 02:34 AM]

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'd still buy the Marantz 4000 over some of the others listed. I found HiFi.com has it for $250 http://www.hifi.com/products/product_information.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=22163&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=20531&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=671&bmUID=996760282129

11. Irens Cruz

Hi All
    You guys are great. Just one more question, I know there are a lot of posts about this, but is there an authorized online dealer for Denon stuff ? I'm worried abouit the warranty [​IMG] What about Marantz, is hifi.com authorized ?
    Thanks again

12. Steve T

Steve T Stunt Coordinator

www.goodguys.com is an authorized online and B&M dealer for Denon products. The DCM-370 is currently $299.99, but shipping is free.

13. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Andrew- i bought from hifi.com for $249 during the last -minutes- of their 'free shipping' promo.
    Irens- yes, they are authorized. 3-year warranty. mine should arrive early next week. can't wait!