Cd Player dead should I use DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Cal, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Bob Cal

Bob Cal Stunt Coordinator

Ok I have an old Sony CD player that has basically died. 1o years old. Now I also have a Sony DVD player . So here goes. Is there any major difference between a CD player and DVD player. Not sure if the lasers are setup different. I know I can play CD on the DVD which I have been doing. But should I invest in a new CD player or just keep using the DVD player. I enjoy music CD's so I am tempted to invest in a new one if it would mean increase in sound quality.

Thanks

Bob

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Bob,

A dedicated CD player will give you better performance and sound quality than a DVD player will. Plus, playing CD's will increase the wear and tear on your player. If you listen to lots of music for extended periods of time, go with a new CD player. If you only listen occasionally, a DVD player should be more than adequate.

Bruce

3. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bob, what Sony DVD player do you have, and if you were to buy a CD player, how much would you spend. In my experience, if you consider a similar price point, a dedicated CD player will outperform a DVD player. The design budgets of the two players are similar, and with the DVD player, a significant portion of that budget must be allotted to the video section of the player (video DAC, DVD laser, video outputs, and DTS and/or Dolby Digital decoders in some cases). On the flipside, the entire design budget for a CD player is dedicated to audio, and it usually shows in the relative performance.

Thus far, I have only considered the scenario of comparably priced CD and DVD players. Now, if your DVD player is the Sony DVP-S9000ES that originally retailed for $1500 and you are only looking to spend $300 on a CD player, then I would say without hesitation that your DVD player would be the better CD player. On the other hand, if you have the Sony DVP-NS300 and are looking to spend $500 on a CD player, the scales would tip to the CD player. Let us know what DVD player you have and how much you are looking to spend on a CD player. With the latter information, people here can make suggestions of CD players to look at. Also indicate if you prefer a single-disc player, carousel changer, or a megachanger (jukebox).

Finally, I agree with the idea presented here by others about reducing wear and tear on your DVD player by having a dedicated CD player.

5. Bob Cal

Bob Cal Stunt Coordinator

Keith you hit the model right on the nose. The DVD is a Sony NS-300. I was thinking of spending around $600cdn on a CD player. The problem is I am about 200 miles from the nearest town that carries any audio products. I am also looking at upgrading my speakers from Paradigm Mini Monitors to the Studio 60's (moving the mini's to the back). So I am planning on spending alot of time listening to music in the near future, once I have a new cd player.

I would be looking a single cd player.

So any suggestion would help. The cd player that died was also a Sony CDP-40. Some of the product lines that are available to me are JVC, Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, and Denon, Rotel, and Yamaha.