CD or SACD only your credit card will tell

Discussion in 'Music' started by Grant B, May 14, 2005.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I finally got my system set up for 6 channel SACD so I have been searching out the little suckers.
    Since most of the releases have been put out in umteen different releases I tend to look closely and it seems like many have no markings which say what you are buying.
    As far as I can tell none of the stones say anything on the cover which is amazing since you are paying more generally.
    I was at Fry's yesterday and I was looking at the last ray charles .....I thought it was a SACD but then again I wondered if they put out a normal AND a SACD so I didn't buy it.
    Seems kind of dumb not to mark them.

BTW anyone hear the Import SACD of George Harrison's Live in Japan SACD?
    Pretty pricey at the store but if it's good I'll namb it

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The George Harrison "Live In Japan" SACD is not an import; it's pricy because it's a 2 disc title. When it was first released, Best Buy mistakely priced it as a single disc CD and put it on sale for $9.99 [​IMG] ....that's when I got it.

Yes, the Ray Charles title is available in separate CD and SACD version. The SACD version is available in 2 versions....in a DVD-A style jewel case and later in a SACD jewel case. But yes, it is available in a separate SACD version and is marked as such.

Generally, all SACD titles are clearly marked as such. The Rolling Stones titles are exceptions, but they do come with a greyish round sticker on the front indicating they are remastered (meaning SACD).

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Not sure if the titles available are to your taste, but yourmusic.com has 48 titles currently available, including all the Dylan, Elton, and Clapton, plus a few classical and jazz titles.

The beauty of it is that they are all $5.99/shipped. At those prices, I have been buying up anything and everything that I am even remotely interested in.

The trick, should you go to the site, is to search under album title, and type in the letters SACD with a space before the S.

Don't ask, I don't know, but it works!

BGL

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Danny
    Good catch!
    I found it under the DVDs at Ameba and it was pretty dark.
    At Fry's getting an answer is impossible.
    And yes yourmusic.com is great

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Grant,

There aren't that many single-inventory SACD releases out there, so if a SACD version is available, it would be marked as such. Just look out for that SACD logo.

6. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

I have become frustrated trying to find hi-res discs at the local brick and mortar stores. best Buy has the largest but still a pathetic selction of hi-res discs. many clerks at locallay owned stores jsut give me a blank look when I ask for an SACD and forget about DVD-A they just point me to the DVD's.
    This has forced me to shop for music on line which is something I have resisted for years. I have foundelusive disc has a pretty extensive selection.

7. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

If you want SACD's then www.SA-CD.net is the definitive place to go. Almost all of the titles are listed and some of the stores selling them are listed. Places like elusive disc, Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct and CD Universe have pretty good stock. Amazon Japan has the best prices (even with shipping) that I have found for most imports.

DVD-A's are a bit tougher since so few have been produced so far but I know Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct have good stocks.

I don't know about DualDisc. Now that the hype is largely over, many of us are hoping that the Hi-Rez titles will move from a trickle to a flood. I did notice that Classic is releasing a Hugh Masekela disc in 24/96. See the above stores for availability.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

How do you search yourmusic to get to the SACDs? I tried and it was not obvious...thanks!

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Just like I said, Lee.

Choose Album Title from teh search box, then for the actual title, put a space, and the letters SACD.

Someone at Hoffman's posted that, and I'll be dipped but it works.

Try this link, which are the results of the search:

http://www.yourmusic.com/search/inde...rch=1&x=17&y=6

BGL

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

A side note regarding yourmusic.com...

I have now seen two occasions where, when searching for a particular non-SACD title, the artworks indicates that they are SACD, when I suspect they are not.

One is for The Kinks "Low Budget", which actually shows the MFSL artwork! The other is "Blood, Sweat, and Tears", which shows the Sony single layer SACD packaging.

I just ordered that one, so I will let you know, but methinks they are just sloppy with their artwork.

BGL

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I have e-mailed yourmusic.com on that issue because I was wondering about whether a Joe Satriani title was indeed a SACD, as shown on the site, or not. The answer was "No" and that yourmusic.com will try to fix the problem.

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I emailed yourmusic saying they should have a SACD section which they said they would look into. Are the Stones SACD the only that don't have the symbol visable? I talked to a friend who got the collection from the label and at least his don't have anything saying they are SACD.

I got Elton's Goodbye Yellow brick road and I must say it's incredible. I never really cared much for his music and the 1st one I ever bought but the PipeOrgan intro rattled my pipes and blew me away.
    Also got Layla from yourmusic and was underwelmed by it's 5.1 mix, too bad I was really looking forward to it.

13. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Within the last 3-4 months, I've found myself purchasing imported SACD titles through ebay, specifically via sellers on ebay Hong Kong. It started when I came across the 2 disc "Best of Simple Minds" for $21.99 + $6.00 shipping, which is a lot less than the $54.99 being charged by CircuitCity.com. Then it was the SACD of Mark Knopfler's "Shangri-La" and about 2 weeks ago, I discovered the SACD of Peter Malick Group's "New York City", featuring a pre-fame Norah Jones doing blusy rock.

Edit: Just won auction on SACD of "Harry Belafonte At Carnegie Hall"....US$17.40, not bad when compared to what Elusive Disc charges.

14. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Are there much more being released over in Japan?

15. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Depends on your musical taste, but Sony Japan has released on SACD everything from Santana's Caravanserai to Wham's Make It Big, not to mention many Miles Davis titles not available here in the States. If you are interested in classical music, Japanese label Avex Classic has released many SACD releases.

There are also many European titles, in all styles of music, that are available as imports. Even American artist such as Beyonce is available on SACD overseas (although you can get that SACD from a local e-tailer).