CD Minimum Advertised Price Antitrust Litigation Settlement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Jacobson, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I saw this in the TV guide and thought I should post it here. (I searched the forum for "musiccdsettlement" and found nothing, so figured it hadn't been discussed yet.)
    http://www.musiccdsettlement.com/

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Jeff,
    The real issue is how much the damn lawyers got versus the people who bought the discs.
    They are the only ones who made out. [​IMG]

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Guess the charities will be getting some cash. $67M isn't going to go far with the number of eligible recipients. Only a little over a million need to file for this to be void. Besides, at a maximum of $20 its pretty useless even filing. Even at only a buck a disc the real loss is magnitudes higher than this for any serious collector.

4. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Not only is Jeff 100% correct about the fact that consumers will never see a penny of this money, it is pretty ballsy for them to claim that they are donating $75 million worth of CDs to charitable or educational organizations. First of all, who determines which CDs get donated? I'm sure they're not going to be donating any best sellers (which might eat into real sales). A "wide variety of genres" probably refers to CDs that don't sell a lick. And to use a $14 MSRP per CD for valuing the donations is insane. They will probably end up making money on the deal, as they will likely take a tax deduction on this bogus donation, when the CDs wouldn't have sold anyway!
    Outrageous!