CD Mega-Changers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott DeToffol, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

My 10 year old Sony CDP-C211 5-disk CD player has had it. The laser must be out of alignment because it is has trouble (skips) with the beginning tracks on almost every disk.
    I've debated getting it fixed, but it will probably cost enough that I would rather buy a new one.
    I have the Panasonic RP91 DVD player, so I don't need a DVD/CD combo. I have 300+ CDs so a mega changer seems like the way to go.
    I have a Nakamichi AV10 receiver with pretty good DACs, so I'm not sure I need a player with excellent DACs. I could get away with a transport with good features and not the best DAC. Altough sound quality is very important. I imagine the top end mega changers have better DACs than my Nak.
    Need:
    - CD Text with simple input mechanism (keyboard)
    - Play exchange
    - Analog and optical out
    Want:
    - Ability to access Internet database for recognizing CDs
    - Expandability
    - 100 or more disks
    Don't Need:
    - Remote with LCD (listening position within 15 feet)
    - SACD/DVD-A (DVD player has DVD-A)
    I'm sure there is a previous thread but the search function isn't working. Anyone have a link?
    I wouldn't mind last year's model if available for a good price.
    Any suggestions or comments?
    ------------------
    Scott's Home Theater - By Appointment Only

2. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Try KenwoodUsa.com or a Sony 400 disk player with the additional Slink-E adapter that allows you to access the database on the internet.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott said:

4. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

I like the JVC models..
    They have a little module that you put on your rack and tie the disc's in seperatly.
    So, what you can do is put the big 400 disc magazine on one side of the room and run the cord all the way to the module (which can be run by remote)which is on your rack.
    They're pretty cheap and can be found on ebay..
    Nathan
    ------------------
    "Fascinating Captian"
    --Spock
    Visit www.speedemenu.com

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I've got the M333ES, bought it at Tweeter for $385.00....great mega changer.
    - Chip
    ------------------

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

$385 for the 'M333ES at Tweeter? Was that an open-box item? The placard at Tweeter says $599 for the 'M333. Tweeter isn't known for discounting. The best I've ever done at Tweeter is to get a brand new Sony CDP-CA80ES carousel changer for $450 a year-and-a-half ago when it sold for $500.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

7. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a Sony CDP-CX450 (400 disc) changer w/LCD remote to control both cd changers,($299.99 @ J&R Music World)to replace a CDP-CX250 changer,added to a CDP-CX300 changer. The two current units are daisy chained. Already had a wired keyboard for the 300 disc changer. Found out that I can do without the play/exchange feature. I sent off for the wireless keyboard (free via mail for purchasing the new unit). I have entered all the title, group & delte track info, and, am thinking about entering the artist names (added feature with this changer, as well as later on linking it to my computer). Random & program access is soo cool, no-delay play definitely works for me. I also have a Sony DVP-CX860, 300 disc DVD/CD changer (not linked),loaded with almost 200 dvd's,(sense a pattern here, I was very interested in jukeboxes as a kid). No more losing cases, falling behind shelves,etc. I checked out the other manufactures, and the features on the Sony appealled to my needs. All companies have quirks to their units. No one company has everything. Features, style & price come into play when deciding. after that, you have to make a final choice that works for you.

8. Scott DeToffol

KeithH thanks so much for your detailed responses! And everyone else also.
    I've done a bunch of shopping and decided that the CDP-M555ES is my best option. I don't really need the two-way remote, but the onscreen (TV) display is very nice.
    The Slink-E will make it even better. Will this device push the CD information to my player? I understand that I can control the changer from the PC with a very cool program that uses the CDDB database to populate CD information. But will that information (a subset of = CD TEXT) be pushed to the changer so that I don't have to rely on the CD-Text capability of the changer when not hooked to the PC?
    ------------------
    Scott's Home Theater - By Appointment Only

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott,
    Glad to help. I can't answer your other questions since I am not familiar with Slink-E.
    Chip,
    I asked earlier in this thread how you got such a good discount on the 'M333ES at Tweeter. Now I think I know. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My:

10. Scott DeToffol

I believe I found my answer on the nirvis website:

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, the Sony 400-disc megachangers have to have storage capacity for 400 CDs. As for Sony's statement about 800-disc storage capacity, that allows for daisy-chaining a second 400-disc megachanger. However, I don't know if the 'M555ES actually can store 800 titles or if it simply displays titles from the second player as discs are played in it. Since the 'M555ES has an LCD remote, it would be nice to be able to pull up the names of 800 CDs on the remote if you were daisy-chaining (especially if the second megachanger did not have an LCD remote, like daisy-chaining an 'M555ES with an 'M333ES).
    ------------------
    My:

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"Chip,
    I asked earlier in this thread how you got such a good discount on the 'M333ES at Tweeter. Now I think I know."
    [​IMG]
    - Chip
    ------------------

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, said, or more appropriately, responded:

14. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Keith, i spent a good deal of money at Tweeter in the last year or so hence, i've forged a good relationship with my sales rep. I got the deal on the M333ES mega changer because of this... I can't say for sure what kind of deal you'd get on the SCD-C555ES... at the very least, i'd bet he'd price match Oade Bros. I like being able to walk into a store and deal with someone in person if i have a problem vs. buying over the internet. Don't get me wrong, i've bought some equiptment online (S9000ES dvd player, Dish 6000 HD receiver,etc..) Maybe we could hit him up for a package deal! Lol.. I want the same player.
    - Chip
    ------------------

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, I'd be surprised if Tweeter would drop down from $1700 to $1075 on the 'C555ES. I was in the Tweeter store in West Windsor, New Jersey, last Sunday, and they didn't even have the 'C555ES in stock. They just had the display unit with the $1700 price tag. I pursued it with them because Crutchfield had just dropped the price on the 'C555ES to $1200, and I wanted to see if Tweeter was showing a similar price drop in their computer system. They weren't showing a price drop at the time. The salesman said they don't keep the 'C555ES on-hand because of the price and because they don't get too many inquiries for it. It's as though it's on display just for show because they don't expect anyone to pay full retail. I won't pay $1700 for it, that's for sure.
    I guess it makes sense that Tweeter will move on price once you develop a good relationship with a particular salesman, but they don't have that reputation. When I bought one of my Sony CDP-CA80ES carousel changers there a year-and-a-half ago (Montgomeryville, PA; a Bryn Mawr store at the time), I had a heck of a time getting them to move on price. Of course, they had the 'CA80ES on display for the full retail price of $500. I told them that J&R Music World, an authorized dealer, had quoted me $430 by mail. They said they couldn't go that low, but they did offer to go down to $450. I took it for the convenience of dealing with a brick and mortar store in the event that I needed to return the player for some reason.
    Anyway, if Tweeter would sell both of us the 'C555ES for $1000, I'd probably go for it. If I were a salesman, I'd try to get approval for such a sale (two players) because the commission would be good. The store might go for it because they probably don't get the opportunity to sell one 'C555ES too often, let alone two. However, I question whether Tweeter would make much of a profit selling the player for $1000.
    ------------------
    My:

16. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Keith said:

17. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Keith, i'll look into it... You said Oade Bros. would sell the 555 for $1075.00 i believe. Lemme see what i can come up with. I'll speak with my guy at Tweeter during the week and report back to you. Is Oade Bros. an authorized "ES" dealer ? (if i remember correctly they are.) I actually called him yesterday but, he was really busy so, i never got a chance to talk to him. I'll call him on his cell. I didn't get a chance to drive over to the store either. (got tied up watching football, lol..) The Kirkwood Hywy store is about 40 minutes from me.
    - Chip
    ------------------

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, yes, Oade Bros. sells the 'C555ES for $1075 delivered, and they are an authorized Sony ES dealers. Their number is 229-228-0093 or 229-228-4480 if you or your contact at Tweeter want to call. Also, OneCall (1-800-340-4770) told me they would match Oade Bros.' price. At $1075, I would consider supporting my local brick and mortar store. $1075 is still a lot for a CD changer, but I would consider it. Let's see what Tweeter says.
    ------------------
    My:

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

20. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Keith, i was just over at audio asylum and there is a guy who just bought the new 777ES sacd player today and stated that Oade Bros. dropped the price of the 555ES to $775.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as of today!!!!!!!!!. I called onecall too price match, they will. $775.00 + $25.00 shipping $800.00 total. I hesitated with onecall due to their return policy. 15 days ONLY on defective merchandise. Something really bugs me about this return policy. Lets say i'm not happy with it for whatever reason? i'm stuck with it... This is why i haven't bought from them in the past. Well?, whatuya think?
    - Chip
    ------------------