What's new

CD/MD deck with MP3 compatibility? (1 Viewer)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I'm trying to kill a few birds with one stone here and find a CD deck with MP3 playback and an integrated MiniDisc player/recorder. The closest thing I've found is Sony's MXD-D40, which has everything but the MP3 playback.
Are there any rumored developments in this area, or is there an existing product that provides all of the above? Granted, the MP3 playback is a secondary concern (which I should have considered when purchasing a DVD player) since 128K encoding won't sound any better through an optical connection, but it would be nice feature to have for parties, not to mention that I already have a bunch of MP3 CDs burned for use in the car.

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry man, your outta luck with the Mp3 Minidisc deck, I two have been looking and I came up short, espically now the sony have stopped making Minidisc's all together. What I was thinking about was buying a portable minidisc player and buying a usb to coax or optical converter to my reciever or just setting up an mp3 server. There Dvd players the play mp3's but I have yet to see a standalone Cd play Mp3's yet but keep looking I might be wrong.

Er...Sony is most certainly not stopping any sort minidisc production. Sales are in the millions of units world-wide.

Sorry man, your outta luck with the Mp3 Minidisc deck, I two have been looking and I came up short, espically now the sony have stopped making Minidisc's all together.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David, as Mike said, Sony does not offer the type of minidisc deck you are looking for. However, Sony is now pushing MP3 CD playback with its DVD players. In addition, Sony recently released a 400-disc CD megachanger (CDP-CX455) that plays MP3-encoded CDs. So, it is possible that Sony will release an MP3 CD-compatible replacement for the 'D40. Sony will probably release some new minidisc players later this year.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Sony is most certainly not in any way ceasing MiniDisc production.
I want to get into minidisc but only if I find one that can play mp3's.
Yeah, and I want to find a CD player that can play LPs. :)
You can record MP3s to MD quite easily using Sony's new "Web MD" products. Look up at www.sony.com for more information.

That post that you linked to simply contains some wrong information. New decks are being produced and designed. And one need only take a trip to Europe or Japan to confirm for themselves that the format is alive and well, with new products being released continously.

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Were talking about US production has been not not overseas, unless he absoultly just has to have one I dont think he want to be bothered with a overseas player.

US production is not changing, either, I'm almost certain. Maybe there has been an about face in the last week or so.

But you will never find an MD player that plays MP3 compressed - as Phil says you can put them on MD as regular audio quite easily - just like burning a regular audio cd. But you've already got a more than 4:1 compression ratio going with the ATRAC.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sony introduced the MDS-JB980 and 'JE480 minidisc decks at a hi-fi show in Europe a couple of months ago as replacements for the 'JB940 and 'JE470. I have heard nothing about these players being released in the US, but they could very well be. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.