CD Jukeboxes worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Lehmkuhl, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Mark Lehmkuhl

Mark Lehmkuhl Stunt Coordinator

My CD collection is a mess (kids, babysitters, wife,etc) due to too many hands messing with it.

I am looking into one of those cd jukeboxes that hold 300-400 CD's as a way of consolidating and cleaning up the shelf.

Any pros or cons?? Model suggestions?? Was in Best Buy (have never bought any audio from, my stuff is higher quality then what they sell). They carry a Sony 300 disk and 400 disk (forget model numbers). He told me they use 'plastic lenses instead of glass' (is he referring to something pertaining to the laser?) and they would only last a couple of years!

Any comments?
    Thanks in advance

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    I've had my Sony 300 Jukebox for several years now with no problems...that's Best Buys scare tactic to get you to buy their extended warranty crap.

Having the jukebox is great..never have to touch the cd's, just punch in the disc number and you're good to go.

Well worth it in my opinion.

Alfer

3. Spiro A

Spiro A Agent

I've had a sony 200 for 3 year now and no problem.
    i've own a pioneer 100 for 10 years playing all day in my
    business had to get unit service once cost $35.cad never
    buy extended warranties who knows if there still around?

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have 3 Sonys; 2- 200s & 1 300. One 200 changer has all my wifes favs.
    I was running out of room because of all the jewel cases. Now I just store them in the back of a closet.
    Never a problem with the 3

5. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

I have a Sony 200 disc model that I have used for about 5 or so years.
    This unit has been rock solid.
    It didn't help me organize at all, but then again I have over 1000 cds.
    Unless you buy a model that will hold *all* your cds, I would go for a 5 disc type changer.
    That is on approximately 5 hours worth of listening.

I recently purchased the Sony C555ES 5 disc changer, & find it works out better for me.
    Sound quality is also something to consider.
    The C555Es smokes my old jukebox.
    Even when used as only a transport.
    It also cost 2 or 3 times the price so it should.
    Perhaps a higher end jukebox would have comparable sound quality?

Bottom line if you have over 400 cds no consumer jukebox will hold them all, unless you link up several.
    From my experience the number of cds you own, & sound quality vs convenience would be the deciding factors.

Todd

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

My 300 disc Sony has been used fairly heavily for several years with out a single issue...it will change the way you listen to music...imagine having a radio station that only plays your favourite songs and you'll have some idea of what the juke box can do for you.

7. Mark Lehmkuhl

Mark Lehmkuhl Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies so far.
    I only have about 200 or so CD's, so the 300 disk player is just right. Best Buy has the Sony 300 disk for ~$180, which is what's tempting me. I don't listen to CD's nearly as critical as I once did or as often. The kids use it way more than me. It probably won't sound quite as good as my old CD player, but it will be close enough.

I have a sony 7700 DVD player, so I can always play a cd on it for myself if I want the extra sound.

8. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

I've always been curious, and perhaps some of the jukebox owners can comment on this. Do these units scratch your discs at all? I've read that they do but have no firsthand experience with one of these units. Have any of you ever taken a brand new disc, used it in the jukebox and then taken the disc out and examined the playing surface with a magnifying glass to see if there was any surface damage from the player? Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

9. DanielStephens

Hey all,

I had the same question as you - except that there isn't a multi-changer that can hold all my cd's (1000+) without linking up multiple changers - which I don't have the space for. In my search I found the AUDIOTRON by Turtle beach - it is an MP3 server - you can hook it up to your computer via phone or ethernet and then your computer holds all the files.

I ripped all my CD's into MP3 files and now have heard songs I never usually hear. There is a small LCD display screen that displays the song information from the ID tag attached to the MP3 file. (I would have liked it to be able to send this to an on-screen display but it doesn't do this)

With the low price of harddrives even for you audiophiles who want to keep your CD's as Wav files you can.

Granted it has taken me several months to get my CD collection onto my hard drive (I used EAC and a LAME compiler - that used VBR (variable bit rate) packing and my files average about 200 kbs. - not CD quality but good enough for me.

Check it out at turtlebeach or do a search for audiotron (I would post a link but don't know if that is allowed).

It runs about $300.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark,
    Megachangers are great for quick access to your CDs and random play on loads of discs. However, megachangers generally don't sound as good as comparably priced single-disc players and carousel changers. More parts in a megachanger usually leads to compromises in parts quality. This does not mean that megachangers are necessarily unreliable, but it means that megachangers are lacking soundwise. Compromises are made in the power supply, transport, analog output stage, etc.
    I have two Sony ES 300-disc megachangers and love them. They are great for casual listening. For more serious listening, I have better players. I have never had a problem with my megachangers.
    If you can, go with one of the current Sony ES 400-disc megachangers. They have a better DAC than the non-ES models, which is important if you are going to use the analog outputs. Also, the ES models come with a five-year warranty instead of the one-year warranty that comes with the non-ES units. Models to look at are the CDP-M333ES and 'M555ES. See www.crutchfield.com for more information on these players. You should be able to get better prices through Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-4770), all of which are authorized Sony dealers.
    Dan,
    I have had a problem with my Sony CDP-CX333ES megachangers scratching discs. Like you, I have heard about this happening with megachangers, but fortunately, I have not observed it.
    Todd said:

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have never notice any scratches from either my DVD or CDs players.....
    I have many 1000s of cds that would not fit into my 700 slots.
    After many years of experimentmenting I have come down with the hints.
    Many cds of artists I like, I have over 10 cds of. Leave out singles, live albums and greatest hits. When you start listening, you dont want to hear the same song over and over (bad radio does that enough!). Those are great for the car etc.
    Many cds have 1 or a couple songs that are good. Its easy to use a cd burner (and legal) to put them on 1 cd with other 1 hit wonders. It's amazing how many slots this frees up.
    Leave space after artists still recording. It's nice to Have an artist together; and not move discs all the time
    My wife tends to listen to classical & Jazz. I found it was easier to give her, her own changer than try to mix ours together. Face it when you put them on shuffle, Nirvana and Mozart dont go together to well.
    Hope this helps a bit; I learned the hard way[​IMG]

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

13. Grant B

Grant B Producer

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Grant said:

15. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

They are good for storage. What I dislike is the inability to set a constant volume level on most if not all of the current models. Pioneer used to have a automatic level control on their older units. This feature is great for playing CDs with a variety of audio levels. This prevents CDs from playing much louder than others.

16. Grant B

Grant B Producer

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Grant buy a pronto...there's nothing that can beat a megachanger and supernudelist running on a pronto for ease of use.

I usually burn a copy of any CD I put into the jukebox to get CD-Text so if I wanted to I could likely control the volume at that stage but it hasn't been a big enough headache to worry about it.

18. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    My 51 disc Sony changer has been rock solid for 5+ years now and I've never had a problem with it scratching discs. Wear and tear on the discs was an issue back when the discs had to be handled every time I wanted to listen to something different but not any more.

There's no telling how many CDs I actually own but thanks to my CD burner I don't have a need for more than 51 discs in the changer. I've narrowed the collection to about 25 of my best discs plus 25 compilations. I keep the plus one slot empty for the once in a blue moon that I want to hear something that didn't make the top 50.

19. Jeff Kleinberg

Jeff Kleinberg Stunt Coordinator

I second that these changers are great, I have a sony 200 and 300cd changer, with a pronto and super nudelist, it is great, instant alphabetized access to all cd's in both changers on one list, it even changes my anthem to the appropriate digital input. As for sound quality I use the digital output and i am hard pressed to agree with others who state there are sound quality differences between transports. Using the digital outputs the sound is great.

20. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I third the recommendations. Having had a 300 disc changer for three years and a 400 disc changer for a few months less, I can confirm no problems with either. Both are Sony, non-ES, and I've never had a single problem with a Sony component. Pioneer and Kenwood had some megachangers available at the same time, but they weren't well recommended in reviews. I use the optical outs for both into a Denon 3803. The internal Sony DACs are lousy so I don't daisy chain the changers via the analog method. The ES DACs are probably better but I couldn't justify spending extra if they're not going to be used. It is annoying that the changers can't be chained together digitally (optical from one to the other then to the receiver). I currently have about 600 CDs and would consider getting another changer when it's time. I'm set for now though because I've been buying more DVDs than CDs for the last year. Sony also makes DVD megachangers though!! I did get rid of 600 empty jewel cases and keep the booklets and labels in photo binders. I use a CD burner to copy discs for use away from home. The originals will therefore never be damaged. My only suggestion for the future on these things is to put a USB port on them to allow computer access to download disc information--Web access would alleviate name typing. The newer Sony machines also play MP3 files.

One word of caution, these things are big. The dimensions are on Crutchfield. The depth may be a problem for some racks--almost 22 inches with the rear protrusion. I keep both of mine side-by-side on the bottom shelf of a large TV stand so it's not a problem.