CD / DVD Player Combos, Please Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike H Wizard, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Mike H Wizard

Mike H Wizard Stunt Coordinator

Hi Everyone,

I need help...

I am trying to decide if I should buy a 5 Disc CD / DVD Player Combo or if I should buy a 5 Disc CD Player and a DVD Player individually...

Could you please post your opinions (Positives / Negatives)about which route would be better to take along with any suggestions you may have for players...

I usually watch more movies than listen to CD's since my current CD Player does not work...

Thank you in advance for your help and input,

Mike

2. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

It's generally a good rule of thumb to go with separates.

To my knowledge, I know of no budget cd/dvd players that will preform excellently in both formats. Usually there will be a trade-off--i.e. good dvd, crappy cd. The tradeoff is lessened the higher you go up in price.

What's your budget?

3. Mike H Wizard

Mike H Wizard Stunt Coordinator

Hi David,

Do you happen to have an R/T of some sort?

Back to the subject...

My budget is around $150 or less for a CD Player and around $150 or less for a DVD Player...

I currently have the Pioneer 810s Receiver with JBL N Series Speakers all the way around, and plan on getting an SV Sub in the future...

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Mike

4. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

I'd say if you can swing $500, you can get a pretty amazing player.
    You can have Dan Wright or Stan Warren modify a cheap Pioneer Dvd player bought on ebay for $90-$200. He then modifies the player so the cd portion is SUBSTANTIALLY improved. The picture is also improved due to the improved circuits........So for $500 you have a player that beats $1500 players.
    http://www.modwright.com/products/pioneer.php
    Other interesting mods is just buying the Pioneer dvd player (known for their great transports) with a cheap $99 DAC like the ART di/o. The ART is available on closeout at www.samash.com. Call to get the exclusive deal. Plugging the dac into the DVD player will boost the sound up to a $1000+ player. NOW, if you modify the ART for $200 by Bolder Cablesyou will have an ASTONISHING system. This specific combo has been compared to a Sony 777es--one of the GREAT cd players of all-time.
    ===============
    As you see, to get top-notch sound, mods are necessary. With patience (MODS can take the player off your hands for a couple of weeks), these expert technicians will do AMAZING things with your basic dvd player. It's basically a no-compromise system.
    ==================
    If want the mods done NOW, at Audiogon.com, a guy is selling his modded player for $500.
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...183&class&3&4&
    That's a no-brainer of a deal IMHO. Later you can add a modded ART for higher reference quality......These units will EASILY BEAT ANYTHING under $2000.
    =================
    If such advice doesn't interest you, I can also recommend basic separates which will be just ok, but remember that they will be nowhere in the league I'm talking about.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I agree with David in that DVD players are generally lacking with CDs in comparison to comparably priced CD players. As a result, I recommend you go with separates. That said, and please do not take offense to what I am about to say, $150 does not get you much of a CD player usually. So, I don't know that you would notice much of a difference between a $150 CD player and a $150 DVD player playing CDs. You could very well be happy with the picture quality provided by a $150 DVD player. Budget DVD players provide excellent picture quality, in my opinion. However, you could do much better in the CD department if you could spend more than $150. For example, $325 will get you the Sony SCD-C222ES SACD/CD changer from Oade Bros. (authorized dealer; 1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). $250-300 will get you the Denon DCM-370 CD changer. You could also get a Marantz CD changer for under $300. Any of these models will be significantly better than $150 models.

If you are locked into spending $300 to get you DVD and CD playback, I would buy a $300 DVD player instead of two $150 components. A $300 DVD player might not give a better picture than a $150 model. It depends on which players you are comparing. However, most $300 DVD players are built better than $150 models. Also, a $300 DVD player is likely to be a better CD player than a $150 CD player. Crutchfield just put the Kenwood DV-6050 progressive-scan DVD-Audio changer on its web site today. They are taking pre-orders for $350, but you might be able to get it for less from J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180).