What's new

CD / DVD Player Combos, Please Help (1 Viewer)

Mike H Wizard

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Everyone,

I need help...

I am trying to decide if I should buy a 5 Disc CD / DVD Player Combo or if I should buy a 5 Disc CD Player and a DVD Player individually...

Could you please post your opinions (Positives / Negatives)about which route would be better to take along with any suggestions you may have for players...

I usually watch more movies than listen to CD's since my current CD Player does not work...

Thank you in advance for your help and input,

Mike

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
It's generally a good rule of thumb to go with separates.

To my knowledge, I know of no budget cd/dvd players that will preform excellently in both formats. Usually there will be a trade-off--i.e. good dvd, crappy cd. The tradeoff is lessened the higher you go up in price.

What's your budget?

Mike H Wizard

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David,

Do you happen to have an R/T of some sort?

Back to the subject...

My budget is around $150 or less for a CD Player and around $150 or less for a DVD Player...

I currently have the Pioneer 810s Receiver with JBL N Series Speakers all the way around, and plan on getting an SV Sub in the future...

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Mike

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say if you can swing $500, you can get a pretty amazing player.
You can have Dan Wright or Stan Warren modify a cheap Pioneer Dvd player bought on ebay for $90-$200. He then modifies the player so the cd portion is SUBSTANTIALLY improved. The picture is also improved due to the improved circuits........So for $500 you have a player that beats $1500 players.
http://www.modwright.com/products/pioneer.php
Other interesting mods is just buying the Pioneer dvd player (known for their great transports) with a cheap $99 DAC like the ART di/o. The ART is available on closeout at www.samash.com. Call to get the exclusive deal. Plugging the dac into the DVD player will boost the sound up to a $1000+ player. NOW, if you modify the ART for $200 by Bolder Cablesyou will have an ASTONISHING system. This specific combo has been compared to a Sony 777es--one of the GREAT cd players of all-time.
===============
As you see, to get top-notch sound, mods are necessary. With patience (MODS can take the player off your hands for a couple of weeks), these expert technicians will do AMAZING things with your basic dvd player. It's basically a no-compromise system.
==================
If want the mods done NOW, at Audiogon.com a guy is selling his modded player for $500.
Link Removed
That's a no-brainer of a deal IMHO. Later you can add a modded ART for higher reference quality......These units will EASILY BEAT ANYTHING under $2000.
=================
If such advice doesn't interest you, I can also recommend basic separates which will be just ok, but remember that they will be nowhere in the league I'm talking about.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I agree with David in that DVD players are generally lacking with CDs in comparison to comparably priced CD players. As a result, I recommend you go with separates. That said, and please do not take offense to what I am about to say, $150 does not get you much of a CD player usually. So, I don't know that you would notice much of a difference between a $150 CD player and a $150 DVD player playing CDs. You could very well be happy with the picture quality provided by a $150 DVD player. Budget DVD players provide excellent picture quality, in my opinion. However, you could do much better in the CD department if you could spend more than $150. For example, $325 will get you the Sony SCD-C222ES SACD/CD changer from Oade Bros. (authorized dealer; 1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). $250-300 will get you the Denon DCM-370 CD changer. You could also get a Marantz CD changer for under $300. Any of these models will be significantly better than $150 models.

If you are locked into spending $300 to get you DVD and CD playback, I would buy a $300 DVD player instead of two $150 components. A $300 DVD player might not give a better picture than a $150 model. It depends on which players you are comparing. However, most $300 DVD players are built better than $150 models. Also, a $300 DVD player is likely to be a better CD player than a $150 CD player. Crutchfield just put the Kenwood DV-6050 progressive-scan DVD-Audio changer on its web site today. They are taking pre-orders for $350, but you might be able to get it for less from J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks