1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

CD dubbing decks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Tse, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I am looking for a CD dubbing deck. Just wondering anyone has experience with any of the brands available out there. Any opinion on the Sony or the JVC?

2. Parsh Patel

Parsh Patel Auditioning

I've got a Denon CDRW-1500 that I purchased a couple of months ago. I've made about 20 or so copies so far and haven't had any problems at all. It copies on to CR-R and CD-RWs. Straight dubbing from a CD is just a 3 button process. It has a couple of digital inputs (coax and optical I think). Don't remember on the output side because I'm using the analog outputs. It's a dual deck. It has input level control for both analog and digital sources. I also looked into the Harmon Kardon CDR-20 and CDR-30, Marantz DR6050, and Yamaha CDR-651 CD recorders before buying the Denon. The HK's drawers seemed flimsy. The Yamaha had fewer input/outputs if I recall correctly. The Marantz was more expensive but would serve as a very good CD player...I have a NAD carousel so playback quality wasn't tops on my list although the Denon is not bad. Didn't look into the Sonys. Hope this helps.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, I have the Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray CD recorder and am very pleased with it. I bought the original H/K CDR 2 last year and sold it after having problems making quality dubs all of a sudden. When I started having problems with the CDR 2 (only occasional, but annoying), I had a lengthy talk with a tech. guy at H/K, and he said that the problems I was having were inherent to the firmware used in the CDR 2 and said the problem was fixed in going to the newer CDR 20 and CDR 30. I sold the CDR 2 and bought the CDR 30 from OneCall (authorized dealer; 1-800-340-4770) for $450 back in February. It's performed like a champ. Every copy I've made has been perfect, and they sound just like the originals, in my experience. The ability to dub at 4x is a nice feature. The remote is very well designed.
    What Hi*Fi? out of the UK gave the CDR 30 a five-star rating (their highest) in last month's issue. Also, the current issue has their 2001 awards, and the CDR 30 was named the best buy among CD recorders in its price class. It's worth noting that both What Hi*Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice (also British) thought less of the H/K CDR 20. In reading the past few issues, What Hi*Fi? found the CDR 30 to be the better CD player and better recorder of the two H/K units.
    It's worth noting that the CDR 30 offers both HDCD decoding and playback of MP3-encoded CDs as well as digital recording level adjustment. The CDR 20 does not offer these features.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on October 08, 2001 at 06:32 PM]

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Thanks to both Parsh and KeithH,
    I will definitely go check out the Denon and Marantz. My local HK dealer actually has the CDR 30 for $400.00, but I am not quite sure whether that was for an open-box demo or brand new one. I am interested in the HDCD function, as I like to hear those HDCD-encoded Van Halen remastered CDs in all their sonic glory. Actually have a good number of HDCD-encoded CDs. How about the Pioneers?? Thanks for the opinions.

5. Parsh Patel

Parsh Patel Auditioning

Danny,
    The Denon has HDCD playback and recording capability. I didn't mention it because I didn't know how important the feature was for you. I don't have any HDCDs yet so it wasn't a big priority for me.
    [Edited last by Parsh Patel on October 08, 2001 at 06:46 PM]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, $400 is a great price for the CDR 30 if it's a brand new unit. I'd check it out. For what it's worth What Hi*Fi? was not high on the Denon CDR-W1500 dual-tray unit in its August 2001 issue. They only rated it three stars out of five for CD playback, even though it offers HDCD decoding (also, four stars for build quality, five stars for features, and four stars overall). They gave the Harman/Kardon CDR 20 the exact same rating in the same issue.
    Hi-Fi Choice was even more critical of the Denon unit in its September 2001 issue. They gave it two stars out of five for sound and two stars for value. They gave the H/K CDR 20 three out of five in both categories in the same issue.
    What Hi*Fi? gave the H/K CDR 30 (offers HDCD decoding) a five-star rating in its October 2001 issue. In reading the review, I found it surprising that they found the CDR 30 to be a better CD player than the CDR 20. Although the CDR 20 lacks HDCD decoding, possibly meaning that a different DAC is used in the CDR 30, I would have expected them to be very similar as CD players. When I bought the CDR 30, I thought the only difference between the two was the features (aside from HDCD, MP3 CD playback and digital record level adjustment on the CDR 30).
    Obviously, these reviews could mean nothing in the end, but they serve as a starting point. Give the H/K CDR 30 a look.
    As for Pioneer units, they have the PDR-609 single-disc recorder, meaning you need to use an external CD player as the source and can only dub at 1x. They also make the PDR-W839, which has a three-disc stacked CD changer along with a single-disc recording/playback tray. Both units are well regarded. In fact, What Hi*Fi? named the '609 its product of the year for recorders for 2001 (current issue). A nice feature of the 'W839 is that it has a PC keyboard input. I am not aware of another CD recorder with a PC keyboard input.
    You ought to check Crutchfield's web site for more info. on CD recorders. They have the Denon unit, H/K CDR 30, and both Pioneer units. You will find good information there, but their prices are high.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

7. Tim Baldwin

Tim Baldwin Stunt Coordinator

Late to the party, but ...
    Do any of these use the less expensive computer media/discs, rather than the "audio" media? Unless something has changed since I casually looked into these, but didn't buy, beyond the "professional" models like HHB only the Philips could do that.

8. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

The Tascam CR-RW700 uses computer media. It's a single disc, 1X recorder with coax/optical/analog inputs and outputs. It's DAC is well regarded and performs like a champ. A few of us here on the HTF have one.
    You can find them at most professional music stores; eg, Mars Music, etc. or at Oade Brothers.
    Good luck.