CD copy protection

Discussion in 'Music' started by ElevSkyMovie, Jan 5, 2004.

1. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

Interesting article found here.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I can't imagine why they would design a product that doesn't work well in car cd players. They'll get a lot of returns?

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Interesting that they say SACD has protection against consumer copying. If it's a hybrid disc, you can pop it in a PC and rip the tracks just like a regular CD. Frankly, I can't see many prospective pirates shelling out the extra money for the SACD but it's not exactly copy proof.

4. BillSherbon

BillSherbon Extra

Of course the tracks that are ripped are the cd tracks, not the hi resolution dsd ones.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Kyle, I don't think those are real CD's. We talked about it somewhere here last year, and some disks came out that did NOT have the official 'CD' logo on it. That was how they got around complying with anybody. Without the 'CD' logo, they could put any encryption on them that they desired, and no one could protest.

Glenn

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Glenn,

You are exactly right. Recently I did a review (scroll to buttom of page) on a disc released by Hong Kong EMI and neither the packaging nor the disc carry the "Compact Disc" logo. It did have a "warning label" though. However, I have noticed all recent Hong Kong EMI releases, except for their SACDs, are like this.

7. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Bill,
    You are totally correct. However, my point is that if your average downloader thinks a 128kps MP3 sounds good, they'd have no interest in the DSD tracks anyway.

8. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"However, my point is that if your average downloader thinks a 128kps MP3 sounds good, they'd have no interest in the DSD tracks anyway."

Exactly. When will companies learn that they can do all this till the cows come home. Copy protection will still be circumvented whether they like it or not. It's a FACT of the business world these days. They need to make the product desirable to the end-user and they will buy. Until then.....................well see more of the same.