What's new

CD: Connect optically or not? (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
My DVD player is connected optically to my receiver. My CD player is currently connected with a standard analog connection, but has an optical output. Any advantage or disadvantage to making this connection optically as well?

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
If you use the optical connection for your CD player, you will be using the DACs in your receiver for analog conversion. Conversely, using the analog outs on your CD player uses the DACs in the player itself. Try both of them out and see which one YOU prefer...

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
In my case, there is no question. I use a 400 disc 'megachanger' for CD playback. Let's just say that it's analog output leaves something to be desired. My receiver OTOH, has 192/24 DACs, and does sample rate conversion on all digital inputs to elimate jitter. I wouldn't consider not using the optical connection. Another important consideration is that I have a few dts CD's. These look like normal CD's and you play them in a normal CD player, but you need to use a digital connection to a dts compatible receiver/decoder, since a dts stream is encoded into the audio data. It plays back what sounds like white noise if you listen to the analog output of the CD player. Examples of my dts CD's are Sheryl Crow's "Globe Sessions" in dts-ES discrete 6.1, and Diana Krall's "Love Scenes" in 5.1. Both sound great.
( http://www.dtsonline.com/home/available.shtml )

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I just connected my Sony CD player to my H/K receiver using the digital out and it sounds so much better. I didn't realize the DACs in the Sony were that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks