CD: Connect optically or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angelo.M, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

My DVD player is connected optically to my receiver. My CD player is currently connected with a standard analog connection, but has an optical output. Any advantage or disadvantage to making this connection optically as well?

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

If you use the optical connection for your CD player, you will be using the DACs in your receiver for analog conversion. Conversely, using the analog outs on your CD player uses the DACs in the player itself. Try both of them out and see which one YOU prefer...

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

In my case, there is no question. I use a 400 disc 'megachanger' for CD playback. Let's just say that it's analog output leaves something to be desired. My receiver OTOH, has 192/24 DACs, and does sample rate conversion on all digital inputs to elimate jitter. I wouldn't consider not using the optical connection. Another important consideration is that I have a few dts CD's. These look like normal CD's and you play them in a normal CD player, but you need to use a digital connection to a dts compatible receiver/decoder, since a dts stream is encoded into the audio data. It plays back what sounds like white noise if you listen to the analog output of the CD player. Examples of my dts CD's are Sheryl Crow's "Globe Sessions" in dts-ES discrete 6.1, and Diana Krall's "Love Scenes" in 5.1. Both sound great.
    ( http://www.dtsonline.com/home/available.shtml )

4. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I just connected my Sony CD player to my H/K receiver using the digital out and it sounds so much better. I didn't realize the DACs in the Sony were that bad.