What's new

CD "chipping"? (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I've had this on at least one other disc (Best of INXS), and it was probably even worse there, but this recent example is making me ask...what's the deal with this? I recently bought the Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, and while disc 1 plays perfectly, a couple of songs on disc 2 are subject to little "chip" sounds at certain points. I'm not totally sure how to describe it or if there's a technical term, so here's a 30-second clip of the song that's most affected by it. The chips pop up a couple of times in the 30 seconds, but they're elsewhere in the track too, as well two other ones.

They play fine in my CD player, but I pretty much only listen to music on my computer or MP3 player, and since the MP3s come from my computer, they're affected too.

I don't want to have to go exchange anything, and I don't want to rebuy these specific tracks at iTunes or something, but it really is annoying. Is there any fix for this (besides doing a line-in recording)? Or at least a site with more info?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
In which case, see if you can coerce your CD-ripper to use "error correction". Slower, but it may well improve things.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

You get the 2007 Nobel Prize for Helping Anthony Out! Worked perfectly. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks