CD Changer/Carousel + Random Play = Up & Down Volumes!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Burzynski, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Are there any changers that have a "volume stabilizer" feature? Or does a third party device exist that I can place between my changer and receiver?

Thanks.

Rich B.

2. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

my pioneer has that feature, but i don't care for it so i never use it.

3. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Joe, I've never heard of that built into a CD player, which Panny do you have?

4. Han

Han Second Unit

It just kills me that people who mix CDs don't go by any standard volume level. There's nothing worse than that loud song that comes in when shuffling a CD changer at a party.
    Unless you can find the feature in a CD changer, I'd use a computer...
    The quick way: Dump all the songs onto your hard drive and run it through a player like Winamp with a volume normalization plug-in. I like doing this anyway, because you can also use a Crossfade plug-in which makes your party music sound more professional.[​IMG]
    The long way: Dump all the songs onto your hard drive. Run a batch application that allows you to normalize all those files to a single volume level. Then burn them back onto CD-R and use those CD-Rs in your changer instead of the original CDs. This way, you won't have to hook up your computer to the home theater.
    I'm sure there are expensive compressors or other devices that you can run in between your changer and the receiver, but I think that'd just add some noise to the signal.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Normalization likely won't help- as all normalization does is assigns the peak sound to maximum- which 99.9% of recording already are... Again your problem is with dynamics and the perception of loudness.
    I wrote an entry on this for the HTF FAQ and Primer:
    Why are some CDs so much louder than Other Cds? by Vince Maskeeper
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...24#post1219924
    -Vince

6. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

7. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

I am looking for a solution that does not include a PC. Well, I thought I remembered a feature of a certain piece of a/v gear, and here it is:
    http://www.simacorp.com/svs4.html
    I actually used to own one - I bought it as a video switcher only, but then sold it a few months later. This may not be an elegant solution, and sound quality may suffer, but if it keeps background music stable during my parties, it'll be as good as GOLD.
    What do you guys think?
    Rich B.

8. Han

Han Second Unit