What's new

CD Burnner questions/recomendations (1 Viewer)

MikeD

Auditioning
Will any cd burnner on the market burn a DTS CD?

What are your recomendations on a fast dual tray burnner

with coaxial inputs and outputs.

What are the weekness of the Sony RCD-W1 Burnner?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I haven't tried to burn copies of DTS CDs, but I think it will work. They can be played on conventional CD players, and I am not aware of any encryption codes that prevent copying of them.

I have the Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray burner and have been very happy with it. It dubs at 4x speed and offers HDCD and MP3 decoding. It's an attractive player to boot. The CDR 30 has a slew of inputs and outputs, including optical and coaxial digital inputs on the front panel. I've never made a coaster on the CDR 30, and I find copies to sound very good. The remote is well-designed.

The CDR 30 sells at Crutchfield or Circuit City for $600, but I got it in February from OneCall (authorized dealer, 1-800-340-4770) for $450. It's a great burner. Don't just take my word for it. Sound & Vision, Hi-Fi Choice, and What Hi*Fi? all gave it very positive reviews this year.

I have little experience with the Sony RCD-W1. The H/K CDR 30 has gotten good reviews as a CD player and a recorder. I'm not sure how the Sony stacks up in either respect.

MikeD

Auditioning
KeithH

Thanks for the reply but: I do not aggree that a DTS CD can be played on a conventional cd player. In fact I cannot play my DTS CD's in my Denon cd changer or any of my car CD players. They can only be played through my DVD player.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Mike,

Most car system won't work as they don't have the capability to process a digital DTS signal.

How is your CD player connected to your receiver? I have an older Onkyo Integra CD player (six or seven years old, well before DTS) connected to my 898 via a digital connection and DTS CDs work great.

As far as I know, a DTS CD will work on any CD player if it is connected digitally to a receiver/processor that can handle a DTS signal.

Thanks,

Jeff

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, Jeffrey hit the nail on the head. I was assuming the use of a digital connection for playback of a DTS CD on a CD player. You can't use the analog outputs because CD players only offer stereo output and do not possess DTS decoders. However, you should be able to play DTS CDs using a digital output. DTS CDs play fine on all my CD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks