CD Burnner questions/recomendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeD, Dec 5, 2001.

1. MikeD

MikeD Auditioning

Will any cd burnner on the market burn a DTS CD?

What are your recomendations on a fast dual tray burnner

with coaxial inputs and outputs.

What are the weekness of the Sony RCD-W1 Burnner?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I haven't tried to burn copies of DTS CDs, but I think it will work. They can be played on conventional CD players, and I am not aware of any encryption codes that prevent copying of them.

I have the Harman/Kardon CDR 30 dual-tray burner and have been very happy with it. It dubs at 4x speed and offers HDCD and MP3 decoding. It's an attractive player to boot. The CDR 30 has a slew of inputs and outputs, including optical and coaxial digital inputs on the front panel. I've never made a coaster on the CDR 30, and I find copies to sound very good. The remote is well-designed.

The CDR 30 sells at Crutchfield or Circuit City for $600, but I got it in February from OneCall (authorized dealer, 1-800-340-4770) for $450. It's a great burner. Don't just take my word for it. Sound & Vision, Hi-Fi Choice, and What Hi*Fi? all gave it very positive reviews this year.

I have little experience with the Sony RCD-W1. The H/K CDR 30 has gotten good reviews as a CD player and a recorder. I'm not sure how the Sony stacks up in either respect.

3. MikeD

MikeD Auditioning

KeithH

Thanks for the reply but: I do not aggree that a DTS CD can be played on a conventional cd player. In fact I cannot play my DTS CD's in my Denon cd changer or any of my car CD players. They can only be played through my DVD player.

4. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Mike,

Most car system won't work as they don't have the capability to process a digital DTS signal.

How is your CD player connected to your receiver? I have an older Onkyo Integra CD player (six or seven years old, well before DTS) connected to my 898 via a digital connection and DTS CDs work great.

As far as I know, a DTS CD will work on any CD player if it is connected digitally to a receiver/processor that can handle a DTS signal.

Thanks,

Jeff

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, Jeffrey hit the nail on the head. I was assuming the use of a digital connection for playback of a DTS CD on a CD player. You can't use the analog outputs because CD players only offer stereo output and do not possess DTS decoders. However, you should be able to play DTS CDs using a digital output. DTS CDs play fine on all my CD players.

6. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Why not a burner in a computer?