What's new

CD Burner Troubles (1 Viewer)

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, so I have an Acer 6x4x32 CDRW that I have been using for a while now, and I was using Nero 4.0 that came with the burner when I bought it.
Was working fine with Windows ME, then I decided to upgrade to 5.5.5.1. Tried it. Immediately got a couple coasters burning audio cds, then decided to go back to 4.0. Everything was fine again.
Upgraded to XP Professional over the weekend. Nero 4.0 isn't XP friendly, so I decide to try 5.5.5.1 again. No dice. Getting "INVALID BLOCK ADDRESS" error. Okay. Uninstall. Try Easy CD 5.02 Platinum. Nope. Getting "BUFFER UNDERRUN" errors.
The funny thing is, I can burn audio CDs successfully with Windows Media Player in XP, but everything else fails.
Any suggestions? I've tried changing the IDE from DMA to POI only. It's an ATAPI CDROM, so there's no trouble with SCSI.
------------------

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Boy, I know exactaly what you mean, I can't get any CD burning software to work with XP yet, but their very own Windows Media Player works just fine except for one BIG problem that I talked about in this post of mine...
quote: I like to make my own CD's but ever since getting a new computer with XP I can't use my old CD burning software (XP is fun that way), I can't afford to buy new CD burning software & the only software to make CD's on the computer is the new Windows Media Player and it has a feature that I hate. It inserts two second gaps between every track & I can't figure out how to (or even if I can) disable it, this is a pain in the ass because some songs tend to flow into each other or whole intros to some songs are separately tracked so forcing a two second gap between them ruins the whole flow of a song or album.
Until I can afford to buy new burning software does anyone know if you can (as with most other burners) disable this annoying feature of the new Media Player?
Thank you for any help.[/quote]
After reading your post I am starting to wonder what the hell Gates & CO. are up to with this shit. Is it a sly/evil little way of preventing usage of non-Microsoft software?
I'm starting to get pissed.
------------------
-Kevin M.
I can brave the nastiest weather, even when it's eighty below.
My Pa was an Elephant, but that's irrelevant,
My Ma was an Eskimo."
- Cannibal the Musical.
[Edited last by Kevin M on October 26, 2001 at 10:14 AM]

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't figured out how to remove the 2-second gaps, either. And Media Player takes way too long to burn mp3s.
It's a shame, because, aside from this CD burning issue, I really like XP.
------------------

JasonD

Agent
I've had no trouble so far with my internal CD-RW drive and XP. I got the latest version of Nero and so far no coasters. Maybe XP is friendlier to certain drives than others?

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
I've had no trouble so far with my internal CD-RW drive and XP. I got the latest version of Nero and so far no coasters. Maybe XP is friendlier to certain drives than others?
I'm not entirely sure it's an XP thing. I updated to Nero 5.5.5.1 when running ME and had the same problems. It was only when I reverted to 4.0 that the problems went away.
I'm wondering if the firmware is having problems with the newer software.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks