What's new

CD Burner (not smoking) (1 Viewer)

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gang;

I know I did this to myself for buying a cheap external burner($80),but I need your help.

The unit (Philips CDRW400) is hooked to my laptop via a USB plug.

The burner plays a prerecorded cd when it's got one in it,BUT when I put a blank recordable CDR or CDRW in the burner,and a cd in my laptop to simply copy-I get a message that "there is no CD Recorder connected)!!!!!!!

It will play but not record (send but not receieve data).

Any ideas?

The USB cable attaches to the burner via firewire (1394).

The CD recording software is made by Adaptec,and it loaded ok.

The USB cable came with a floppy driver,and it seemed to load ok too.

It shouldn't be this complicated,but i'm not the greatest with puter's.

Thanks

Chris

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Chris, this may be a longshot, but are the burned discs you are using finalized? I had a long fight with my Dad's CD-Rom because it would not recognize discs that weren't finalized.

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
That would make sense if he was trying to play burned discs, but he's not even getting to the burn part.

Chris,

What's your operating system?

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Operating sys is;

HP Omnibook XE3

Windows 98 PIII 850mhz 256ram

At one point in the problem-the screen asked for the Win 98 disc to be inserted for driver info/ I never got a Win 98 disc with the Laptop when I bought it new (refurbished)-It only came with 2 HP System Recovery disc's???????

I assume Win 98 is on the recovery discs???

Thanks again

CC

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
I assume Win 98 is on the recovery discs???
Yuppers. It may also be on your hard drive. Look for a directory containing a number of cab files. I believe there's about 74-76 of them. Do a search on your HD and/or the CD's for *.cab. That'll bring up all of the cab files on your machine, and the win98 directory should be pretty obvious. When the machine prompts you to insert the disk, browse to that directory and it'll find what it's looking for.
Now a few more things to try with your burner.
First off, make sure you have all of the appropriate patches and updates for your system. Head up to Windows Update and get your system up to date.
To check that the drive is properly recognized-
Right click My Computer.
Select properties from the drop down menu.
Click the device manager tab.
Look for the Philips drive in your device list.
If it doesn't show up, or shows up as generic/some other model, then the drivers aren't properly recognized. Check for any driver updates on the Philips customer care site, and update if possible. And/or remove and reinstall the driver.
If the drive shows up with a question mark or exclamation point, then check the properties of the device and look for an error message describing the problem, and post it here.
Hope this all helps.
T

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the tips Thom;

Still SOL.

Went to Microsoft,and updated system (I think).

Went to my computer,and don't see the Philips listed,but it does show the 1394 bus controller.

Got the screen again (during microsoft download) that said "Please insert the disc labeled Windows 98 Second Edition CD ROM,then click ok".

Only disc received with the Laptop was "System Recovery disc's-so I put that in,and didn't seem to help.

Hopefully a computer friend will come over soon,and figure this out for me.

You don't have to bother.

It's a serious pain in my *SS,but a challenge none the less.

Thanks again

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks