What's new

CD Burner Compatibility Issues? (1 Viewer)

Damon Neth

Auditioning
Last week I purchased a Yamaha CDR-R651 CD burner. I have been happily burning CDs from DVD, CD, vinyl, etc without issue on my system. I have successfully played my new CDs on my home CD changer and car CD changer without issue.
However, a friend reported that he could not play a CD I made in his car. He said he gets a "weird" error message and the CD is spit back out. He was able to successfully play the CD at home.
The Yamaha unit in question does use SCMS to identify first and second generation copies. The CD in question is a second generation copy. I have read on-line that some professional grade burners allow SCMS override, but this unit does not for digital to digital transfers.
So here are my questions:
(a) Is this a SCMS issue?
(b) If not, could it be a media compatibility issue (I'm using Memorex Music CD-R discs that are stamped with the "Digital Audio Recordable" marking)?
(c) Would this issue be resolved by upgrading to a professional burner?
Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide. Life is too short to be dealing with issues like this.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
It's probably a compatibility issue between the CD-R media and the car player. The only thing I can suggest is to try a different brand of CD-R media. A lot of car CD players are cheaply made and some don't play CD-Rs very well, especially if it's an older model.
KJP

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I find the light teal (like Mitsui) CD-R media works the best in the most players, including car players. I have tried about 15 different brands now, and certain media consistently doesn't work with some older machines.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
I have been happily burning CDs from DVD, CD, vinyl, etc without issue on my system
How do you copy a DVD to a CD? Can CD burners read the audio tracks of DVDs? Do they copy the digital info or do you have to go digital -> analog -> digital? I have some concert DVDs that I would love to be able to copy to CD and play in my car or mobile player. Thanks
Jay

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I agree that this is almost certainly a media issue. My experience was that CDs that my niece had burned would not play in my wife's car, but would play in mine. I found that the new black CD-Rs perform the best. So far these have played in every device I have tried them in including my wife's car.
SMK

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
digital? I have some concert DVDs that I would love to be able to copy to CD and play in my car or mobile player. Thanks
The best quality way is to decode the DVD disc and rip out the audio files. (I can't remember exactly the procedure. Only did it once for "fun".) Personally I think this is a waste of time of course, and with D-->A-->D setup it's good enough. You already have the original DVD anyway for those times sound fidelity is important (if that is not an oxymoron with DVD).
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks