CD and/or DVD Changer, will I be disappointed?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RentBaxley, Nov 8, 2004.

1. RentBaxley

RentBaxley Agent

I did a search but couldn't come up with much...

I am well overdue for both a new CD Changer and DVD Changer/player. I have read that the "changers" are not as good audio/video quality. I would really like to kill two birds with one stone if possible, and just get a 5-disc DVD player that will do evertyhign. Will I be unhappy with the picture and/or sound quality?

any insight is greatly appreciated.

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Onkyo CP-802 and Integra 8.5 are both thought well of. You might want to look up some reviews and feedbacks of those and see if those fit a bill for you.

3. RentBaxley

RentBaxley Agent

Thanks for the suggestions. After some searches on teh Onkyo I'm a bit concerned that the video isn't all that good. I imagine it will still be a big upgrade from my 1999 DVD player? I have a 42" hi-def rear projection. Do you think I'm better off getting a dedicated CD Changer and seperate DVD player? I don't mind paying the $450 as long as both video and audio are of high quality. but i wonder if i would get more for my money buying two separate units for approximately the same cost...thoughts?

4. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Sure. You'll always have a school of thought that favors dedicated units. If you can afford it, sure! May not be necessary to go with more than one unit to get this done right for you.

The Integra 8.5 scored pretty well in the Secrets shootout for video as well as audio. The first link here is the latest Secrets Shootout that included the aforementioned Onkyo 802. The second link is a review they did of the Integra 8.5. The Onkyo and Integra are essentially the same units, except Integra gets buffed up in a few areas over the Onkyo. Not night and day differences.

Secrets Shootouts:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=120

Integra 8.5 Review:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-9-2004.html

I'm considering this Integra 8.5 myself, actually. MSRP is $699 on the Integra, $499 on the Onkyo.

Here are the two direct product links for both. Maybe you can figure out where the extra couple o' hundred bucks goes. [​IMG]

I notice that the video DACs on the Integra are 108 vs. 54 on the Onkyo. So there's one area where the Integra was buffed up over its Onkyo bretheren.

The Integra has video black level controls. The Onkyo does not. The Integra might use a bit nicer audio DACs as well, although the numbers are identical on paper.

Neither upscales nor has DVI or HDMI. The Integra has a set of RCA AND BNC component video jacks. The Onkyo only has the RCA set of components. I'm not sure BNC is. Remember! Your nice TV is going to do a lot of the work here anyways and have a field day with whatever signal is sent to it!

The Integra has 192 kHz sampling. The Onkyo does not. You probably could nit a few other numbers out of the specs, but those are the big ones.

Onkyo 802: http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...&class=DVD&p=i

Integra 8.5: http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...class=DVD&p=f#

I'd seriously recommend you consider buying one of these and calling it a day. These are both solid, excellent units. I do like having the convenience of a changer, and I may just splurge and get the Integra and put it over the top myself. [​IMG]

First thing we need to establish: Do you want high-rez audio like SACD and DVD-A. If so, this narrows your game field quite considerably. The only all in one changer units that do both high rez's are the aforementioned Onkyo and Integra units. So far. [​IMG]

I'd get maybe the Onkyo for my dedicated audio unit and go fishin' for a nice video unit: Sony 975, Panny s97, Denon 1910, Zenith 318, 418, HK 31. Denon 2910 or 2900 if you want to splurge and go over the top.

(Note: If you bought the Denon 2900, this would cover you on every conceivable base except it's a single disc player. Your TV would have a field day with the picture this bad boy would feed it. If you shop around, Ecost has it for $550, otherwise new will be upwards of $600+. Something to think about... [​IMG] )

It really depends on what your budget is. $450 total budget probably won't let you get away with this.

Now, if you throw high rez audio out, this opens the world up to you and you'll easily meet your $450 budget.

A lot of folks on budget are using something like the Pioneer 578 for audio and say, the Zenith 318 for video. But these are all single players. Well within your budget, but you'd have to write off the changer.

If you don't care about high rez audio, then there are tons of nice CD changers all over the place from various companies, like Sony, Denon, Yamaha, etc. etc. If you throw high rez out, the world's wide open to you and you'll easily meet your budget.

Throw me some more questions if that ramblin' mess didn't help! [​IMG]

5. RentBaxley

RentBaxley Agent

I think I'm sold on the Onkyo.

If i want higher rez video down the road I can add another unit and use the Onkyo as solely audio source. I imagine that for now the Onkyo will far surpass the picture quality of my 1999 DVD/DIVX Player that was used in college for a solid year...

One last quesiton, I'm considerign purchasing through Crutchfield for two reasons. first, they have a "Scratch/Dent" unit for 429. Second, they are offering free financing for 6 mos. I woul have NO problems paying it off before then. thoughts on crutchfield vs. alternative place to buy?

Thanks again!

6. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    People complain about Crutch's selling at MSRP, but look at it like this: No tax. No shipping. LIFETIME customer support. 30 days return and exchange no questions asked. They ENCOURAGE you to demo the unit and test it to hell if you feel like it. You can tell them "I think it sucks" and they'll take it back! For 30 days, they don't CARE what your reason is, they'll do it. [​IMG]

I say [​IMG] [​IMG] to your plan. The scratch and dents get even more lovin' from them. With refurbs and such, they go back to the manufacterer for a checkup and are sometimes a better buy than new. The last thing that manufacterer wants to see, believe me, is that damned unit coming back to them again! That means they're losing that much more money on that particular piece. Buy with confidence!

I know people that have bought S&D from Crutch's before...and they were perfect! [​IMG]

Go for it, chief! You have NOTHING to lose at that rate! [​IMG]

7. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Crutchfield even pays for return shipping.

They are a great, reputable company, that goes the extra distance for customer service.

Alas, I do pay taxes on purchases from Crutchfield (we are in the same state), which mostly keeps me away.

8. RentBaxley

RentBaxley Agent

Placed the order. $429 no taxes and it will be here day after tomorrow. I guess that's b/c I'm only about 2 miles from VA!

I can't wait!

9. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The Denon 1815 changer displays an outstanding picture and if you use an optical/coaxal interface the the audio will be as good as your receiver.

Mort

10. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Let us know how it goes, Rent, as I'm considering that player also. [​IMG]

Thanks, Mort! I'll look into that. [​IMG]

11. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I have the DV-CP802 and the video on this changer is at least as good as the Panasonic RP62 that it replaced (using component and direct connection to video source) and the audio is truly awesome (speaking mostly of hi-res 6-ch sources). I'm very happy with it, I paid $441 for mine from onecall.com.