What's new

CCS vs Solid Copper, Dual Shield vs. Quad (1 Viewer)

cakins

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher
Hello everyone - first post here. I'm refurbing a house myself and am planning to put cat5e and video cable in the walls while I have them open. After MANY hours on the internet researching the cable types I'm still left wondering what is adequate for basic video distribution in a house that is by no means high end.
We're talking very small house - 2BR, 1BA.

I know it needs to be RG6, but the solid copper/ccs options AND the shielding has me wondering where I really need to spend money and what I can save money on yet still have it done right.

I've read that unless I'm in an area of high interference, the standard (dual) shielding should be fine. Is that accurate or am I wasting my money on dual?

I've also seen some ads for ccs cable stating it's for applications including satellite tv, then other ones say ccs is fine for basic cable but for DSS it should be nothing but solid copper. Which is it really? A pro videographer friend says with digital it shouldn't matter - you've either got the signal or you don't.

My bottom line, I want to do it as cheaply as possible as this isn't my dream house. HOWEVER, I'm spending my time and money to do it at all, so I don't want to put something in JUST because it's cheaper if it won't serve the purpose.

The CAT5e choice was much simpler! :)

Thanks for any help.

cakins

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher
So - it sounds like I should be good to go with dual shield, CCS RG-6 for any video I'd needs in this little house where my longest run is about 80', right?

Sounds good - and less expensive. :)

Cat6 is more expensive, and I'm not sure what the compelling reason would be. Suggestions? I haven't bought or run any cable yet. One possible reason for the Cat5e, though, is that a friend of mine says they have a spool that they're willing to give me. Haven't seen it come to pass yet, so I'm still waiting, but hey, if it's free!

connector_guy

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
For the cost - for now and in the near future - CAT6 is overkill. Cat5E is close to cat6 "gig" speed and the cost is higher. The both carry signal the same way and have the same cross talk. Cat 6A is actually much more difficult to get certified than cat 5e. If you feel you must put cat 6 in do some research on the practical application. Your home network would run at gig speeds, but all the NIC speeds would have to be at that speed the router would have to be gig. Plus I doubt the internet you get from your provider is a gig speed.

connector_guy

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
I sell compression connectors and have recently been telling people to go over kill if they are doing a one home installation. People complain about stuff that I wouldn't have thought possible. Cordless phones causing interference, as well as devices like routers and game consoles. I would like to get some verification of interference levels and how effective the different types of shielding are in use. I have also read that the dielectric can make a substantial difference. I have in the past told customers to buy RG59 with copper shielding for short runs around their TV. The cost is less and results are good. It seems to do very well in home installations. I am not sure if it is that the copper shields better of carries a signal better. If you are doing a TV installation I have of many types if you are installing these behind a TV or tight spot. You have to use the cable pro tool, and that is a hefty cost if you already purchased a tool otherwise.

Good luck, and enjoy your new home theater.

If anyone knows for certain the advantages (if any) of copper shielding please share that information.

Commercial link removed by moderator. Please read our rules more carefully. Do not repost it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks